Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw storage?

Chainsaw storage?

How do you store your chainsaws? Right now mine are just sitting on the floor, occasionally buildup will wick oil all over the floor. Can you hang them on the wall, do they need to stay horizontal so they don't leak (as much), do you keep them in a plastic case, etc.? Pictures welcome.

My Stihl stays in its hard plastic case with a towel in the bottom. If not, it leaks oil on the concrete like you mention.

i like the square husqvarna style case. i have a stihl in there, it will hold extra chain, wrench, files, and a bottle of bar oil .

I’ve seen them stored vertically on a shelf with a perpendicular slot cut through about half way. Not sure this would stop bar oil leaking out.

Always drain out any 2 stroke mix from the tank if you’re not going to be using the saw for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post

Always drain out any 2 stroke mix from the tank if you’re not going to be using the saw for a while.
    +1. Also, if possible, use non-ethanol gas. Ethanol absorbs water from the air and forms some kind of acid, that I forget its name, but that acid dissolves rubber. Eats away your diaphragm in the carb.
    If you don't already use bar and chain oil, if you use that, it may help the oil leaking. While being relatively expensive, it supposedly is much better for chain/bar wear and is way "stickier" than regular oil. Non of my saws leak oil. Yes I do own a couple Stihls. A common puppy training pad sits under my saws, just in case they start to leak.

My old gas powered saw doesn't currently run. My son thinks he can rebuild it. It is stored in a home made wooden case. 6mm luan plywood with 3/4 square pieces in the corners. My battery powered saw just has a plastic cover over the 14 inch bar. I think both leak some bar oil but they are out in the shed so I don't care.

I just put them in a cheap plastic tub you can buy at Walmart.

I keep mine in an old cat litter pan which has a vertical slot cut for the bar... not very elegant but keeps oil off the floor.

Sthil orange case, not perfect but fine plus I cram in enough to sharpen, chain oil and oil to mix in the gas plus more around the saw. Almost enough room to have another bar and chain but not quite. Only use Shell V power. high performance friend gave me a lecture a while back and when the transmission was rebuilt by an old school guy in the 92 wagon he said to only use V power otherwise stuff in other gas will affect the primitive fuel injection in those cars. Maybe gaskets I dont know. Reality was it had done 25 years on regular already and in ten years i used it zero problems with it and it didnt have an easy life.

If I have a fault iwth the stihl case its a bit clunky to use but more so id like space for an extra chain and bar. Likely I can modify it. I think the 16 bar fits and its the 18 that I got second that has the issue.

I hang mine in my barn on a ceiling hook vertically with a five gallon bucket under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I hang mine in my barn on a ceiling hook vertically with a five gallon bucket under it.
    Same idea but a big spike in the wall. Not so high a lift that way.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    I use a plastic chainsaw case.
    My dad owned a sawmill and did a little logging too. The big saws leaked too.
    It is possible to design one that doesn’t but I don’t know that anyone does.
    Storing them in any position you’d like would be fine. They’re made to operate in any position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jordan View Post
    How do you store your chainsaws? Right now mine are just sitting on the floor, occasionally buildup will wick oil all over the floor. Can you hang them on the wall, do they need to stay horizontal so they don't leak (as much), do you keep them in a plastic case, etc.? Pictures welcome.
    I prefer the element of surprise.

Mine lives on a shelf in the garage bay used for the mower and other things related to our landscaping and beekeeping. I do have a plastic guard over the bar when it's on the shelf. My electric chain saw is on the same shelf...also with a plastic guard on the bar. They sit flat and horizontal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definitely never ethanol gas in two stroke anything. Expensive but I’d recommend the pre-mixed stuff if you can’t find ethanol free. Can always check this place: https://www.pure-gas.org