Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical code question

The NEC has no limits on the number of the number of 240V receptacles on a circuit, but the IRC International Residential Code does, so if the IRC has been adopted, there is a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    The NEC has no limits on the number of the number of 240V receptacles on a circuit, but the IRC International Residential Code does, so if the IRC has been adopted, there is a issue.
    What's the number.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    What's the number.

I do not have a copy of the IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    I do not have a copy of the IRC.
    Rollie,
    Electrical codes always confuse my feeble mind.
    Since you can probably interpret the IRC , this site has it in various digital formats:
    https://archive.org/details/gov.law.icc.irc.2012

The PDF:
    https://ia802806.us.archive.org/3/it...c.irc.2012.pdf

And the IBC in case of a non-residential question
    https://ia800609.us.archive.org/9/it...c.ibc.2012.pdf

Bleh, I hate it when they do that. ~1000 pages, scanned as images, so you can't search them.

I couldn't find a reference, or chart, for max receptacles on a circuit. I could just be missing it. 37205.5 is pretty much what my understanding is, but I don't really do residential. Hence my curiosity.

3702.5 Branch Circuits Serving Multiple Loads or Outlets

General-purpose branch circuits shall supply lighting outlets, appliances, equipment or receptacle outlets, and combinations of such. Multioutlet branch circuits serving lighting or receptacles shall be limited to a maximum branch-circuit rating of 20 amperes. [210.23(A), (B), and (C)]
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Bleh, I hate it when they do that. ~1000 pages, scanned as images, so you can't search them.
    I couldn't find a reference, or chart, for max receptacles on a circuit. I could just be missing it. 37205.5 is pretty much what my understanding is, but I don't really do residential. Hence my curiosity.
    Mike,

There is a full TXT version in the first link I provided, although not necessarily formatted gracefully, is searchable. Using the page search function in Firefox I searched for "Branch Circuits Serving Multiple Loads or Outlets" and found the same paragraph you quoted.

The previous section is:

E3702.4 Thirty-ampere branch circuits. A 30-ampere
    branch circuit shall be permitted to supply fixed utilization
    equipment. A rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected uti-
    lization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-
    circuit ampere rating.

There is much more for someone who likes to read such documents. This excludes me.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There is much more for someone who likes to read such documents. This excludes me.

JKJ

Nice find John, but tis too much like work

All my 220 branch circuits are 20amp (as are all of my shop 120 branch circuits), and at that point.. the fact that you have two hot leads really doesn't make a bit of difference, especially as has been pointed out.. most of the world does it that way
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Nice find John, but tis too much like work

All my 220 branch circuits are 20amp (as are all of my shop 120 branch circuits), and at that point.. the fact that you have two hot leads really doesn't make a bit of difference, especially as has been pointed out.. most of the world does it that way

Not really, 220 volts is a line to neutral voltage, & is 50 hertz, derived from a 380Y/220V source, any phase to neutral is 220*, phase to phase is 380, 208 & 240 volts in North America is a line to line voltage, with any leg being 120V.

*The EU harmonized everything as 400/230V.