Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer questions? Grizzly or Laguna or?

Jointer questions? Grizzly or Laguna or?

I am finally going to add a jointer, since that big stack of lumber I cut last year is prime for being used finally.
    Looking at a few, but strongly looking at the Grizzly G9860zx 12" parallelagram with helical head. It's on sale, and is 34 1/2' deep- that measurement is about the maximum I'd like to stay within if possible, and the idea of getting a 12" jointer would be amazing! Lots of the wood from my trees that is seasoning is 10-12" so would sure simplify things. But I read one review on Grizzly that said that machine with a 3hp was under powered, and could only take ~1/32" off /pass or it would bog down. Does anyone have that machine that can pass along any input in that regard?
    There is another they have, G0834 that is a 5 HP, and is a actually cheaper 12", but is 39" deep, and it's going to force me to locate it elsewhere in the shop. I'm guessing thats why it's cheaper? OR is there another machine I should be looking at? Cost is always in play, but not the decider for me, I'll get whatever makes most sense
    Edit- I just saw the Laguna - 12" Parallelogram Jointer with ShearTec II
    That looks nice too. A little pricier, but not PM pricey anyways. And it's only 33" deep which is a big plus HMMM... Would so much appreciate any input here. Thoughts or input on either of these or any 12" jointers you have or personally know about?
    TIA- Dave
    Last edited by Dave Burson; 06-15-2020 at 8:29 PM.

Used! So many good deals on big old arn out there for a fraction of those prices. Going to be a traditional knifed head likely, but I don’t think that’s a big deal.

I had a 3hp Griz for a short time with straight knife. 8”. It did bog down on occasion and the entire spindle stopped on large pieces.

The spiral cutter will probably help. But I would not spend the money on a larger 12 inch joiner and only get 3hp. Most of grizzlys combo jointer planers are 5hp. Why buy a 1000 pound jointer only machine and only get 3 hp? Go 5hp and you won’t regret it.

As for old iron, that’s east to say. But old iron has problems. Number one is getting it to your house. The motors are often 3 phase and the helical or spiral cutters are light years ahead of straight blades. So a used 2500 machine may turn into 3500-4000 machine after you start fixing stuff.

On a 12 inch machine, I’d want a longer fence, too. I have not seen the laguna in person, but the long 47” fence is something that I’d like if I was going to buy one.
    Last edited by Robert London; 06-15-2020 at 8:58 PM.

I have the Griz 0609-12", 3hp, spiral head. It has been a great workhorse for me. I do a lot of rough stock milling-mostly 10"+-
    and rarely have any issues with bogging down with greater than 1/32" cuts. I just moderate my feed rate as needed, I live near the Griz showroom and when looking at the machines up close I couldn't see any significant difference in my more modest model and the Ultimate versions. The table castings and adjustment mechanisms looked and operated the same, cutter heads were the same, not sure if bearings were different(or why).
    I made a mobile base with leveling casters and at times when milling large and heavier stock I will lower the pads but generally the jointer doesn't move so if spacing is an issue a simple mobile base may solve that for you. The table on the 0609 is 83 1/2" and that is a big plus. I looked up the Griz jointer listings and my version looks just like the G0834. With the 5hp, spiral cutter head, and if a mobile base solves you shop space/positioning issue I think that is a reasonable choice and a better value. Can send pics of the base if needed. Easy to make-just ask Santa for a MIG for Xmas!! Good luck JCB.

john
    thanks do much! That helps a lot. I do like to weld a bit too so would love pictures of your base! And changes you’d make to it,and any notes you can think of - etc Ty!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    I have the Griz 0609-12", 3hp, spiral head. It has been a great workhorse for me. I do a lot of rough stock milling-mostly 10"+-
    and rarely have any issues with bogging down with greater than 1/32" cuts. I just moderate my feed rate as needed, I live near the Griz showroom and when looking at the machines up close I couldn't see any significant difference in my more modest model and the Ultimate versions. The table castings and adjustment mechanisms looked and operated the same, cutter heads were the same, not sure if bearings were different(or why).
    I made a mobile base with leveling casters and at times when milling large and heavier stock I will lower the pads but generally the jointer doesn't move so if spacing is an issue a simple mobile base may solve that for you. The table on the 0609 is 83 1/2" and that is a big plus. I looked up the Griz jointer listings and my version looks just like the G0834. With the 5hp, spiral cutter head, and if a mobile base solves you shop space/positioning issue I think that is a reasonable choice and a better value. Can send pics of the base if needed. Easy to make-just ask Santa for a MIG for Xmas!! Good luck JCB.

Ty Matt. Appreciate the input but don’t think a used is a good choice me this time. I just went thru that with a old unisaw, which love having as my dedicated dado guy, but with the beefiness of the jointer and without strong help in area, I think I need to go new on this one

That helps a lot Robert. Gives me the confirmation I need. And I’m glad you said something about the fence. I see the laguna has a 60” x5 3/8” so that should be a lot better

hoping someone here has the laguna and can comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    I had a 3hp Griz for a short time with straight knife. 8”. It did bog down on occasion and the entire spindle stopped on large pieces.

The spiral cutter will probably help. But I would not spend the money on a larger 12 inch joiner and only get 3hp. Most of grizzlys combo jointer planers are 5hp. Why buy a 1000 pound jointer only machine and only get 3 hp? Go 5hp and you won’t regret it.

As for old iron, that’s east to say. But old iron has problems. Number one is getting it to your house. The motors are often 3 phase and the helical or spiral cutters are light years ahead of straight blades. So a used 2500 machine may turn into 3500-4000 machine after you start fixing stuff.

On a 12 inch machine, I’d want a longer fence, too. I have not seen the laguna in person, but the long 47” fence is something that I’d like if I was going to buy one.

IMG_1292.JPGIMG_1291.JPGIMG_1293.JPG

Hope this helps. Simple 2 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron with caster supports welded on the outside. Bit of a PITA to bend over and move the caster pads-can never remember which way to turn the dial-so consider the ratcheting version or a foot controlled lever type locking caster. You won't need to use it much. Robert had commented on the fence length but it hasn't been a problem for me at all--tho I have never used a jointer with a longer fence. Never had a problem controlling the stock. The Hammerite paint is a perfect match for Grizzly green as a bonus!! I did a video showing how easily the jointer moves and can forward that to you as needed too. You've got me interested in looking at the Laguna!! Good luck. JCB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burson View Post
    Ty Matt. Appreciate the input but don’t think a used is a good choice me this time. I just went thru that with a old unisaw, which love having as my dedicated dado guy, but with the beefiness of the jointer and without strong help in area, I think I need to go new on this one
    Totally understand! Just saying, but my Northfield 12L is 33” deep, and comes apart into 7 manageable pieces for one person to move.

There’s not a lot of feedback on the laguna online, but did see a few positive comments. One thing I must say is that grizzly has excellent customer service. I had a problem with mine, and they did everything they could to help. Not a quality issue but the wrong part being listed and not being able to retro fit a spiral head from them I ordered. So I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them again. I have my eye on their 20” spiral planer as well.

Laguna doesn’t seem to have the level of positive feedback when problems occur.

I had the G0609x 12" spiral head Grizzly jointer in my shop for a period of time. It was a great jointer. Beds were very flat (within 5 thousandths). They stayed put once you set them. I'd have no hesitations about getting another 12" Grizzly jointer.

I had no problems with the 3hp motor. Infact I have a 3hp motor on my 16" jointer, and I've never once bogged it down. Honestly a 5hp motor on a jointer seems like overkill. The deeper cut you make, the more you have to "push" the wood through against that cutterhead. If you're bogging down a 3hp motor on a jointer, you're taking too deep of a cut imo.

I just took a look at the jointers available, and ended up going with a combo machine. With the space I gain buy selling my 15" planer, I'll have no problem accommodating the machine in my smallish shop. The combos are quite inexpensive compared to owning 2 individual machines.

If the cutter head is stalling I would check the belt. Most likely it's slipping. Lots of 15" planners that have a 3hp motor on them that will do up to a 1/8" cut so I don't know why a 12" jointer would need more.

My 12" combo machine (with helical head) has a 3HP motor and has no problems with deeper cuts in either jointing or planing mode.

Grizzly's price differences between similar machines come down to country of origin. Their more expensive machines are made in Taiwan vs cheaper in China. The difference is much more apparent when flipping through their paper catalog.

Motor quality, efficiency, and frame size are more important than 3 vs 5 hp for a jointer. Cheap small frame motors have smaller diameter shafts and bearings. Both affect the load capability. I'd look at both motor nameplates and compare. Decent cast iron and flat tables are a huge deal, particularly near the head. The larger the diameter of the cutter head the better the cut as well, even with an insert head which is of marginal benefit on a jointer anyway. Generally the greater the number of inserts, the greater the need for hp. That is a bigger deal on a planer where number of inserts can improve the finish quality. A jointer doesn't leave a finished surface so fewer inserts isn't a bad thing. Dave