Thread: Wooden cooler liner sources?

Wooden cooler liner sources?

I have friend that wants me to make wooden cooler for her deck but not sure where could find the cooler liner?.

Blog Entries
    Just go get any cooler that has the desired features & then build a box to put it in.

The hunt for the wright cooler.

Years ago Outdoor Life magazine had a DIY project in their monthly publication, it was a neat twist; anyway on to the OP's question. One month they had a DIY sportsman's cooler larger than normal built from marine grade plywood and the insulation used was the closed cell insulation board used to insulate around basement etc. The big box stores sell it in varying thicknesses in 4'x 8' sheets, all that I've seen is a light blue in color. Best I remember it was cemented to the ply, thought given to overlapping edge orientation to discourage leaking at the joints which all were sealed using silicone sealant.
    I remember even the lid interior was insulated and the hinge side edge was radiused to permit smooth closure.

Would love to have that reprint.

I made one last fall - rustic to match planter boxes my wife wanted:

IMG_3959.JPGIMG_3961.JPGIMG_3962.JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Coffman View Post
    Years ago Outdoor Life magazine had a DIY project in their monthly publication, it was a neat twist; anyway on to the OP's question. One month they had a DIY sportsman's cooler larger than normal built from marine grade plywood and the insulation used was the closed cell insulation board used to insulate around basement etc. The big box stores sell it in varying thicknesses in 4'x 8' sheets, all that I've seen is a light blue in color. Best I remember it was cemented to the ply, thought given to overlapping edge orientation to discourage leaking at the joints which all were sealed using silicone sealant.
    I remember even the lid interior was insulated and the hinge side edge was radiused to permit smooth closure.

Would love to have that reprint.
    That doesn't make for a very cleanable surface on the cooler interior though.

I have made several boxes for steaming wood with closed cell foam and aluminum flashing stock for an inner liner.

You can buy the coil stock in various finishes.

You can buy excellent silicone weather seals in small quantities here:

http://www.conservationtechnology.com

Maybe look into a closed cell foam insulation like poly-iso and smooth FRP panels. I know a lot of offshore fishing guys build their own “kill box” which is a giant on deck cooler. You could try and poke around some of those forums if you can’t find any easier solutions.

20200801_084115.jpgsome finis pics well tried to deleat......

Go to a sheet metal fabricator and have them solder up a galvinized box. That is what I do when I make toilet tanks. It you want to get fancy, make it an inch or two inside the box, then squirt some insulation into the void.
    Regards,

Tom

Actually got done and tried to post pics... but anyway.