Thread: Outdoor Trestle Table

Outdoor Trestle Table

Our old outside table was rusting away (it was a 4 year old HD table), so we needed something new. I had this African Mahogany that was intended for another project that didn't happen, so it went towards this table. It's pretty much based on the table the Wood Whisperer made, but my stock was only 1 3/8 thick, so I reduced somethings. I also did proper mortise and tenons and not loose tenons.

The finish is 2 coats of Waterlox Original Sealer followed by 2 coats of Waterlox Marine Satin finish. it came out great once I realized I was putting the finish on too thick. I'm hoping to get a year or two out of the finish before needing to put another coat on the top. I think the bottom areas will last a bit longer. The feet have a coat of West System Epoxy on the bottom, so they should hold up well.

I put the patio in Memorial Day weekend to house the table. Now onto permanently mounting the umbrella base.

Copy of 20200615_114016.jpg
    Copy of 20200615_114145.jpg

That's a great looking table. I see many happy dinners with family and friends.

You mentioned putting epoxy on the bottom of the feet, which is good, but I recommend you add some plastic buttons, too, to keep it off the ground. That will keep it out of the water and promote drying. You may want to add another coat or two of finish to the top, too, because it will get the brunt of abuse from the sun and water. Winter is especially and surprisingly hard on outdoor furniture where I live in the NE, so if conditions are similar you should consider getting it under cover. FWIW, I keep my outdoor wood furniture covered now except when I use them and have completely avoided refinishing since doing so over 3 years ago. Prior to that even 7 coats of Epifanes only lasted 3 or 4 years, max.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's a great looking table. I see many happy dinners with family and friends.

You mentioned putting epoxy on the bottom of the feet, which is good, but I recommend you add some plastic buttons, too, to keep it off the ground. That will keep it out of the water and promote drying. You may want to add another coat or two of finish to the top, too, because it will get the brunt of abuse from the sun and water. Winter is especially and surprisingly hard on outdoor furniture where I live in the NE, so if conditions are similar you should consider getting it under cover. FWIW, I keep my outdoor wood furniture covered now except when I use them and have completely avoided refinishing since doing so over 3 years ago. Prior to that even 7 coats of Epifanes only lasted 3 or 4 years, max.

John
    Good idea on the buttons. The top is screwed in with 1/4-20 screws with EZ Lok fasteners in the top itself. The trestle is only attached to the ends with wedges in the tenons, so I can take it all apart and put it inside in the winter. I know that will help a ton. For the finish, I talked to Waterlox and they said to not build the film finish too thick. They were pretty strong with 2 coats and then do more as needed when it starts to whiten. Time will tell!

Nice project with beautiful results. A table cloth could protect the table surface from the elements which could be easily removed when you want to show it off. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Nice project with beautiful results. A table cloth could protect the table surface from the elements which could be easily removed when you want to show it off. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! SWMBO likes to look at it for now as it's just outside the kitchen window. I'm sure as time goes on, it will get a table cloth for part of the time. We have an umbrella over it too. The fun part is my MIL just saw it and really likes it, so I think I'll get to make another!