Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep squirrels off my bird feeder

I put a 30' wire between two trees and put a feeder in the middle.
    The squirrels would go 50' up a tree and jump down on the the feeder. 95% of the time they bounced off, but the other 5% they held on and that was enough to make them happy.
    I gave up

Change your feed to something they dont like, like safflower seed. Grackles doves and some other less-desirable birds also dont like it. I have wire-cage feeders for peanuts and sunflower seeds, that are difficult but not impossible for squirrels to get to. Dog is on perpetual squirrel patrol. I dont like the mixed seed stuff because birds will shove all the seeds out onto the ground to get to the sunflower seeds.

Look up Squirrel Ninja obstacle course. The video is well done and is hilarious! Peppered bird seed works around here as a squirrel deterrent. Birds do not get the burn only mammals, except apparently some deviant probably inbred Texas squirrels 🤣

Blog Entries
    As you can see in these videos it is nigh on impossible to frustrate a squirrel from getting to food.

Squirrel Learning

Squirrel Challenge
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Have you tried lead oxide. Apply at the rate of 3000FPS. Works for me. A pellet gun is better, as it doesn't disturb the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Have you tried lead oxide. Apply at the rate of 3000FPS. Works for me. A pellet gun is better, as it doesn't disturb the neighbors.
    3000 fps? I don't think so. 1200? Maybe.

Blog Entries

Score so far : squirrels 100, me 0

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I built this birdfeeder, how do I keep the squirrels away from it?
    Just added vaseline to post and cayenne pepper to the seed. This is war and I am losing badly😂
    Dennis

Not be a wet blanket, but moving a bird feeder out into the open so that squirrels can't get to it from nearby trees, is making a buffet of songbirds for any raptors.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Not be a wet blanket, but moving a bird feeder out into the open so that squirrels can't get to it from nearby trees, is making a buffet of songbirds for any raptors.
    We have ours almost directly under a large tree and we lose several birds each year to sharp shinned hawks that come to feed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I took one off a branch with a pellet pistol from 50'. I figured I had no chance to hit him, and even if I did I didn't think it would penetrate that thick fur. But I was wrong. Of course it made no difference; there were plenty more.

I have a treated 4x4 pole which I put a flange (sold at the nurseries for bird poles) about 48" from the ground.
    From the ground to under the flange I put an 8" galvanized circular heat duct pipe.
    May not look the best but, over 10-15 years I've only seen several squirrels climb up the vent pipe and get around the flange.

Our bird feeders are hung on shepards hooks which are made from about 5/8 - 3/4" steel rod material. Get the cheapest tube of grease from the farm store and apply liberally to the rod - works great. Given you have a nice white support pole, you may not like the looks of grease. A big jar of vaseline applied liberally will likely be less visible.

I'm giving up on feeders for the year. My problem is bear, so all the normal solutions do not work. last night a bear tore down my cloths line that had a feeder on it. 2nd time, thought they had wandered on.

I put torpedo squirrel baffles on my bird feeder poles. Squirrels try but cant get past it. Available on amazon.