Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino Question

Festool Domino Question

For those of you who use a Festool Domino, what do you use to spread glue inside the mortise? I always want to make sure the sides of the mortise are well covered.

I've been using those coffee stirrer sticks like the ones you get at Starbucks but maybe there's something better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use cheap Flux brushes, temporarily stored in a plastic cup of water during a prolonged glue-up and then trashed.

I also use flux brushes.

Yup, been using these cheap HF brushes for glue for years.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/36-pc-...hes-61880.html

I use a 6" machinist's scale. It is stainless steel, and about a half inch wide. It washes off easily, so there's nothing thrown away. It smears glue nicely on the flat sides of the mortise. And, of course, I use it as a measurement tool too. I don't worry about spreading glue on the rounded ends.

I use these. They hold about the right amount of glue and are cheap enough to be disposable.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WYY8J...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jim

Guess I'm a bit lazy, I just put glue on both sides of the domino and push it in the mortise. For the protruding tenon, I brush glue on it as I glue that edge.

Blog Entries
    I use cheap flux brushes, but there's no need to toss them after use. A thorough cleaning takes about 10 seconds & they will last many glue ups. It's not the cost as much as a desire to throw out less stuff that can be reused.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I use these. They hold about the right amount of glue and are cheap enough to be disposable.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WYY8J...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jim
    Jim, those look handy, thanks for the link.

I use Glue Spreaders like these, you can get them at a number of places. Works fine except for very deep mortices. Nothing to throw out.

depends on whether i oversize the hole or not If i dont I just squirt some on the domino and a bit in the hole. If it is oversized I go flux brush

Honestly...I mostly just dribble some in so it reasonably coats both sides, but when I want an even coating, I use one of the disposable acid brushes I buy for glue applications. I'm about to replace those with a reusable silicone brush marketed by the Titebond folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a plastic blue glue spreader. I like spend about 2 seconds per hole with just the right amount of glue so I don’t get a lot of squeeze out. Ive found Sometimes squeeze out can prevent a joint from closing.
    Aj

Go to Rockler and search for glue paddle. They have a couple of styles made of silicone so the dry glue peals off. On the brush/paddle combination the paddle seems to have been designed for a domino mortise.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski