Thread: How can I fix this?

How can I fix this?

This table is nice dark Sepele but the door rails and stiles came out lighter, probably from a different board. I'd like to improve the match without standing and if possible without removing the topcoat.

Door.jpg

Sanded to 320 ROS

Minwax Special Walnut wipe on, wipe off. 2 days to dry.

Crocus cloth and reapply stain (it normally takes no more but may even out a little)

Superblonde shellac.

Crocus cloth, done.

If you can spray, Tom, this wouldn't be too hard a task. Mix some Transtint dye into your shellac, mask off the panel, and spray toner coats until the color matches. Which Transtint? Can't help you there except to say make samples first. If you can't spray it can still be done using shellac toners but it's a lot harder with a brush or cloth.

John

The door and rail stiles do not appear to be stained at all except in the pores. Were they sealed prior to applying the Minwax Special Walnut?

Also, tell more about the Orion detail!
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-15-2020 at 2:44 PM.

Hi Prashun
    The stain was applied to the bare wood. It made the wood much darker.

Good eye on the constellation. There are 3 doors, no doubt you will recognize the others. They are done with tacks. The clinch is visible with the door open.

Three Doors.jpgClinched Nails.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 06-16-2020 at 6:50 AM.

I recognize the little/big dippers but what's the middle one?

Personally, I'd leave the doors as is. The light color is consistent between the doors and I do not find it distastefully different from the surrounding wood.

That's Cassiopia

This piece has bigger problems, you can see some of what happened with the legs. Those really look bad. I will need to darken the light streaks. I wanted to start with the doors.

John's suggestion of transient mixed with shellac may work. I'll have to make up some test parts.

Tom,

Since the doors are already sealed, I think it would be very easy to accomplish what you want with brown glaze.
    I use the Rustoleum brown glaze they sell at Home Depot (which you can further tint with Transtint if you wish). Wipe on with a rag and use a dry brush to blend and remove to taste. If you don't like the way the glaze looks, you can wipe it all off. If you've wiped or brushed off too much, wipe on more. Totally reversible. It's like no commitment dating.
    If you like it, let it dry and then topcoat with shellac to seal it in and bring it back to life (it will dry with a matte, lifeless look). That's it, you are done.

java-brown-rust-oleum-transformations-cabinet-paint-266227-64_1000.jpg

Sounds like I've got a date with Home Depot