Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hand tooler advice

Thanks guys! I need all the help and encouragement I can get. I just finished my first raised panels. Tenons are not the prettiest, small gaps due to me not sawing square. Lesson learned. Practice makes perfect right? I have decided I need a shooting board though. On Derek's site he showed a few examples and I think I can throw together a simple one with scraps. I even have some countertop laminate.

Question, will leather suffice or should I make wooden jaws? I'm leaning towards yes. I dropped my tiny vise down a tap and had wooden jaws that were level with top and it has worked out great. Hit the jaws a time or two and all is good.

If I understand your question re wood vs leather - cover the smaller metal jaws ("chops") of the vise with larger pieces of wood with some thickness to them (3/4"?, 1"?, 1-1/8"?, etc, your choice) so that the wooden jaws don't flex easily. Then glue some thin leather over the wooden jaws to give the vise a better grip.
    David

I mentioned I needed a shooting board. Here it is. Not pretty but it is flat and functional. Followed Derek's advice on his website for setting up, working in, and squaring to the plane and not the board. And I added a piece so it hooks to bench too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks good. Over time you may find certain things you like or dislike about your board to use in your next shooting board.

You can bet you will make another shooting board.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Progress Blake. One more thing knocked off the list. You now have the ability to quickly, accurately square a cut on the end of a board. Yes, it can be done without a shooting board, but using one is another way to do it.
    David

I cleaned up a goodell mitre box a while back. Thing is huge. Makes great cuts. But for quick cuts I needed a way to clean them up. Cant wait to use it. Had a couple scraps i tested and I'm pretty happy.