Thread: Is this not a thing anymore? (Lighting fixtures)

Is this not a thing anymore? (Lighting fixtures)

I have several T8 fixtures in my shop and it's about time to switch to LEDs. I also want to add more fixtures. I really like the ones I have, which are very durable and protected from me moving long boards around. However, I can't find fixtures like this anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get something like this:

IMG_20200614_173216.jpg

I like that it has the reflector and the wire cage over the bulbs. Every fixture I can find for LEDs is just bare bulbs hanging from a rectangular box - no reflector (which I realize is not necessary since LEDs are directional) and no cage. Surely someone must want fixtures that look a little better and offer some protection? They also don't seem to have diffusers, which seems like it would also be something people want.

Note: I am talking about fixtures that accept T8 bulbs - not fixtures with built-in, non-replaceable LEDs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Doubtful. LED tubes are not glass and not subject to shattering so the format you show doesn't really come into play. I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying that is probably why you can't find them
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Home Depot show many with reflectors and plastic covers. Don't see any with wire covers, I suspect as stated there isn't breakage danger like with glass tubes so why bother with wire.

You can always use replacement LED lamps in your existing fixtures if you really like/prefer them, either direct replacements or direct wire type where you remove the ballasts. As has been noted, the LED "bulbs" are plastic tubes, not glass, and that plastic is flexible and not prone to breaking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Roger. I guess I was really surprised that I couldn't find much that didn't have a ballast, or fixed LEDs. My goal is to buy fixtures that will use the same bulbs as I will use when I convert my fluorescent fixtures. Home Depot does have a few with reflectors, and a few with diffusers, but nothing really like what I have now. After two hours of searching, I cannot find a way to replicate what I've got, unfortunately.

Jim,

I absolutely plan to reuse my existing fixtures by bypassing the ballasts. I was just hoping to find somewhat matching fixtures. I was able to find cages that will fit the ugly LED fixtures, and I was able to find reflector-type fixtures with no cages. I think I will end up getting ugly fixtures with cages, since I actually do whack my ceiling, dust collection pipes, lights, etc. on occasion.

Four tube models seem to be available: https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ha...t-items&sr=1-2

or: https://lithonia.acuitybrands.com/pr...grid-shoplight

Don't see 2 tube versions.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks, Paul. I did see the four tube versions. I don't really need ~8k lumens in any one area, so I don't think those would suit me.

These have an optional cage available. Unfortunately only come with ballast.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Brian, you might scour and monitor the regular sources for used stuff to see if you can score units that folks are getting rid of. You really only need the "shells" anyway, given the ballasts are going bye-bye and replacing tombstones isn't difficult or expensive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I recently added fixtures and changed over to all LED. My shop is now very bright.
    I bought used 4 build fixtures. There are a lot for sale so it was easy to find and I paid $3 each for nice fixtures with diffusers. I may have gotten lucky at $3 each but there are a lot of used ones for sale that don’t cost much.
    I removed all the ballasts from my existing and new to me fixtures. It’s easy and the LED lights are much brighter. I went with 5k frosted tubes.

Eric,

I don't know why but I haven't been able to find much in the way of fixtures near me. I generally search four Craigslist areas, but there has been precious little for quite some time.

I think I have resigned myself to new fixtures - about $20 including the cages, so not too bad.