Thread: Lonnie Bird Secretary desk question

Lonnie Bird Secretary desk question

So I'm building this desk, the writing surface is 7/8" thick and the lid is 7/8" thick and the two are hinged together, meaning that they should pretty much match up. The top drawer is lidded and over hangs a 1/4" into the 7/8" writing surface area, How does this work???

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Knop View Post
    So I'm building this desk, the writing surface is 7/8" thick and the lid is 7/8" thick and the two are hinged together, meaning that they should pretty much match up. The top drawer is lidded and over hangs a 1/4" into the 7/8" writing surface area, How does this work???
    Brian, can you further explain your question. I looked over the article by Bird, and am not sure of your question. Can you also refer to a particular page and wording in the magazine?

Built two of those desks, the lid does get pretty close to the top drawer, like within a 1/16”.. But it does work, plus the thumbnail treatment on the drawer faces also help with clearance..not the greatest pictures but..

First with the lid open, remember the slant top desk hinges have a pretty large knuckle

DSC_1099.JPG

with the lid open..

DSC_1100.JPG
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 06-17-2020 at 3:55 PM. Reason: added pictures