Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Drive 4 hours for English Walnut? Photo inside

Should I Drive 4 hours for English Walnut? Photo inside

Debating if I should drive 4 hours for English walnut. Seller said they are dry but not time or method explained.

$40 a slab if more than 2 are bought. Slabs are 2” x 10”-20” x 66”-72”.

Be about $52 in gas for me.

If my math is correct it’s about $4.5/ board foot if I get 5 boards. I averaged a 2” x 12” x 68”.

upload image

Hearn Hardwoods is advertizing English Walnut for about $10 bf. Lot's of bow in some of those boards. Would be a lot of waste to get longer pieces with straight grain if you are thinking casework, frames, etc. Sorry Patrick. Guess I'm not able to give a solid thumbs up.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would pass on that unless it were free and just down the street.
    Looks like it was a small crooked tree.
    Aj

Are all those water stained? What is the discoloration? Natural or stains?

I can't see any real use for that outside of smallish veneers. Might make some interesting bookmatches. But mostly, I see waste.

6. It depends on what use you have for it. I really like English walnut and generally use it in shorter lengths and small parts 90% of which wind up being book matched or matched on two sides, so for me it looks useful. Probably much less so if you are looking for long wide boards.

Do you have a use for it? or a project in mind?
    For perspective I have a little over 600 bd/ft of straight, clear grained, air dried, walnut slabs. 18"-20" wide, 8/4, 8' and 11' long. It's been sitting, banded and stickered, for almost 5 years. It's worth about $2.00 a bd/ft. If it ever went through a kiln it would be worth more. It's also "dry".
    I don't see anything special about those boards personally, but that's just me.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I share others' concerns here, especially whether or not those slabs are flat. While $4.50/bd ft is really low for any kind of walnut, the material has to be usable for what you want to make with it for the savings to be realized. Bowed boards are still usable in short sections like I did for my recent natural edge mirror project, but not for bigger things where flattening would pretty much eliminate most of the material. I think you need more information from the seller including photos that clearly show how flat they are.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would pass on that unless it were free and just down the street.
    Looks like it was a small crooked tree.
    +1. I wouldnt drive 4 hrs for that material.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I bought lumber from a home owner once. Never again unless I know and trust them.

Those boards appear unremarkable and you will be unable to get straight grained pieces. I would pass.

It looks like it was sawn from branches. Another reason to nock the value down.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Thanks guys. Info is limited from seller and no other photos. I can ask from flat photos to gauge how any twist etc but seems like more trouble than dealing with that wood.

I think I’ll settle on some delivered 8/4 walnut for $8/bd ft. It’s already planed into boards and kiln dried. Little more $$ but eliminates any questions regarding moisture etc and ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Thanks guys. Info is limited from seller and no other photos. I can ask from flat photos to gauge how any twist etc but seems like more trouble than dealing with that wood.

I think I’ll settle on some delivered 8/4 walnut for $8/bd ft. It’s already planed into boards and kiln dried. Little more $$ but eliminates any questions regarding moisture etc and ready to use.

I think you've made a good decision.
    It seems like some folks with walnut slabs, thinks they're sitting on a winning lottery ticket.
    The walnut I have was purchased from a guy that wanted essentially the price for kiln dried, S2S ,walnut, for three tree trunks sitting in poison ivy. He didn't even have the ability to put the trunks on a trailer either. We winched them out of the woods, and onto a trailer.
    4 hours of driving is still, 4 hours of driving. A not insignificant investment in time for an unknown. If I were trying to sell those boards, I would have hit them with a sander, and wiped on something to show grain and figure.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Any walnut around me gets at least $4/bf. Live edge with "character" (read cracks and knots) gets more. If it's dry, a whole bunch more. If you joint and plane it flat and rip one straight edge it's almost ridiculous what you can charge no matter how ugly the wood itself. As long as it's walnut.

I need more walnut logs.

John

I have to drive 5 hours, each direction, to get any type of hardwood. You lower 48'ers are spoiled......