Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening... argh!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    The LN jig does not self square. I have used the same jig since it became available on all my chisels and plane irons. You are applying too much pressure to one side of the jig and that is most likely why you are out of square. Apply counter pressure and it should correct what you have here.
    If it doesn't it should.

Thanks everyone for the tips, it has been very helpful to see the variety of suggestions. This morning I went out to check a variety of them, and this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    Oh, and make sure the jaws are seated and the four screws are tight.
    Good luck!
    turns out to be the answer. The screws holding one of the jaws were snug, but not tight. After tightening them up I noticed right away that the blade is now ground straight across. As to why this blade had issues and not the others, I can only speculate that since it's the largest blade I've put in the jig, the jaws were moving a bit when I cranked it down into place. Anyway, I'm very happy with the result below. You can still see some of the original bevel, but then the primary and secondary bevels I just ground this morning.

Thanks again for the help!

IMG_1473.jpg

Glad it was a simple fix.

It is axiomatic that narrow rollers do not dictate squareness to the edge. Wide straight rollers may do, depending on the holding system.

When using a narrow roller ;

If edge is square use even force on the two sides of the blade. Do not apply force to the guide.

My DVD on Plane Sharpening.

If edge is out of square, double force on long side and halve on short side.

I have used this guide for a few years now and it is superb.

In use it performs just like the old Eclipse 36, but with added features available.
    Beginners are well advised to start with pull strokes only.
    One's attention (and force) needs to be concentrated on the blade close to where it touches the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    It is axiomatic that narrow rollers do not dictate squareness to the edge. Wide straight rollers may do, depending on the holding system.

When using a narrow roller ;

If edge is square use even force on the two sides of the blade. Do not apply force to the guide.

My DVD on Plane Sharpening.

If edge is out of square, double force on long side and halve on short side.

I have used this guide for a few years now and it is superb.

In use it performs just like the old Eclipse 36, but with added features available.
    Beginners are well advised to start with pull strokes only.
    One's attention (and force) needs to be concentrated on the blade close to where it touches the stone.
    If you do all the manipulation of the edge with hand pressure you don’t need a guide. If you pressure one side and the other you will find you are cambering the edge. Same thing as saying don’t use the flat bottom of a plane and the camber to straighten an edge, just tip the plane and manipulate it by feel.