Thread: Bridgewood 8” jointer rebuild

Bridgewood 8” jointer rebuild

This rebuild is my first. If I spin the cutterhead by hand, how long should it rotate if the bearings are good? The machine is 25 years old, hasn’t operated in 20, and I’m probably going to replace the bearings anyway. But I don’t have a feel for how good/bad mine are now.
    Thanks

It’s a bit counterintuitive. A bearing that has lost its grease will spin for longer than a fresh new one. But that old bearing will heat up and the balls will start to put the races and it goes downhill from there. Replace them.

If you can feel any play or hear any noise the bearing is shot. New bearings should cost under $10. At the least they need to be unsealed, cleaned of 25 year old grease, and regreased. Regardless of what was used buy sealed bearings not shielded.
    Bill D

Thanks for the responses.
    I just repainted the base with Rustoleum Dark Bronze Hammered with a brush and cabinet roller. Really happy with the results. Mobile base (Grizzly) is on the way. I used a razor blade to get some rust spots off of the beds but still have to completely clean. Making slow progress.

How about a picture?