Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1962 International Harvester c120 truck box project

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    The plan is that the truck box will be entirely removable to allow for instances where the full bed is needed, or if it needs to be set aside for any other reason.
    If the box is wood, it'd be very good if it doesn't sit directly on the bed, where there may be a puddle. Put it on spacers or feet which are not damaged by standing in water -- aluminum, plastic, stainless, or the like.

If white oak is easily available, I'd go for that. It handles the outdoors well, and turns a nice silver grey. As noted above, you do want to keep it (and any wood for that matter) out of standing water.

I would go classic, with Oak or Ash sideboards in the stake pockets to match the bed boards.

I would also use a smooth metal commercial cross box, powder coated to match the trucks paint scheme. It should hold up much better than wood, even for occasional use.

2 cents worth from a car guy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It's a very tempting project for a woodworker but...

Wood on metal will cause the metal to rust thru in short order

Wood will turn grey in the sun unless it is painted

Wood will be heavier than metal, maybe not an issue for an art car

Truck builders have figured this out and no manufacturer uses wood

Wish I could encourage you but in this case,no

Tom

Blog Entries
    We’re on the same page and I ended up turning down the project. The friend of a friend had extremely particular wishes (must be reclaimed lumber from his old falling down barn, must include vintage metal strapping, must be 100% perfectly waterproof for 7 months of outside time per year, must feature “treasure chest” top, and so on) and didn’t want to spend $$. I politely explained that this one was over my head and wished him luck.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

When folks are not willing to pay for the quality and features they expect, especially with very particular requirements...run, don't walk away! Sometimes you just have to "fire the customer".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Totally agree. Glad the more experienced crew here feels the same way. I only am able to take on about 10-12 projects per year since my actual job (and kids, life etc.) consume so much of my time, and my skill set is work in progress (so I'm slow on some tasks)... so I try to pick work that fits some criteria:

- Awesome personality fit with customer
    - Customer alignment with my (slow) pace
    - Comfort with my pricing methodology (basically, I give a nice break on projects where I need to learn)
    - Within my skill set to deliver quality product
    - Pushing me to learn something new, without pushing too far
    - Interests me, something I'll be proud of

I'm sure in future years the list will evolve, but that's basically my list as it stands today. It's been allowing me to keep steadily busy in the shop while (somewhat) justifying/offsetting the cost of insurance (etc.) and shop upgrades. "Profit" ain't even in the equation, but I consider it therapy, education, meeting people, being creative etc.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I have to jump in and mention the 1924 Hispano Suza tulipwood body race car.
    Bill D.

I had never heard of the 1939 Lagonda tulipwood car before today.
    https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/...ail-racer.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-20-2020 at 9:38 AM.

Do Morgan cars still use wood for the frame? That Hizpano Suza body is under 200 pounds including all the brass rivets or nails.. I think it is built like a wood strip canoe.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do Morgan cars still use wood for the frame? That Hizpano Suza body is under 200 pounds including all the brass rivets or nails.. I think it is built like a wood strip canoe.
    Bill D
    I believe that there's a restoration thread about one of these vehicles here at SMC somewhere. Morgan vehicles in existence would have the wood...they haven't been manufactured for "eons", AFAIK.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I believe that there's a restoration thread about one of these vehicles here at SMC somewhere. Morgan vehicles in existence would have the wood...they haven't been manufactured for "eons", AFAIK.
    Morgan vehicles are still being manufactured & have much the same styling they always have. But I don't think the chassis is as extensively wood as they once were. Wood is still used in the body support structure though.

Turns out Morgan still makes about 800 cars a year with 240 employeees. Owned by some Italian company. The wood frame thing is because of British English automotive vocabulary. What the US calls a frame the British call a Chassis. That is metal in a Morgan, Aluminum these days. Some of the frame that supports the body is wood even today. Like the studs in a house are wood even if the outside is brick or stucco.
    Bil lD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joncal...n/photostream/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-22-2020 at 1:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Morgan vehicles are still being manufactured & have much the same styling they always have. But I don't think the chassis is as extensively wood as they once were. Wood is still used in the body support structure though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Turns out Morgan still makes about 800 cars a year with 240 employeees. Owned by some Italian company. The wood frame thing is because of British English automotive vocabulary. What the US calls a frame the British call a Chassis. That is metal in a Morgan, Aluminum these days. Some of the frame that supports the body is wood even today. Like the studs in a hose are wood even if the outside is brick or stucco.
    Bil lD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joncal...n/photostream/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company

Thanks...I didn't know that! Who knew....
    --

I assumed they were fiberglass these days with glassed in wood supports here and there like a boat.
    Bill D