Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1962 International Harvester c120 truck box project

Blog Entries

1962 International Harvester c120 truck box project

Hello,
    A friend of a friend has asked me to build him a "vintage truck box" for his "new" truck. He has purchased a 1962 International Harvester c120 and my understanding is that he plans to have it professionally restored and painted/lettered to advertise his business.

He plans to keep it well-protected during the winter months, but thinks he'll have it out quite a bit the rest of the year... taking it to certain customer quoting events, trade shows etc. And I think he'll drive it "for fun" too. So, it will see some weather.

I have attached some pics of the truck from when he was purchasing a few towns over, and he also sent me two initial "truck box inspiration" pics.

I want to build him something functional, appropriate for this model/year of vehicle, that uses materials and finishes that are both practical and beautiful.

As I am not a "car guy" really, I'm seeking any and all tips/pointers I can get in order to do this really nicely for him. Anything ranging from style of construction, material choice, features to try to include, watch outs... I'll gladly take all advice.

1962 international harvester c120 pic 1.jpg1962 international harvester c120 pic 2.jpgcustomer inspiration pic 1.JPGcustomer inspiration pic 2.jpg
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    That's going to be a cool project. If he wants it to be a bit of a show piece, don't do it like the first box pic. That would be more of an embarrassment than something to show off. The second is nice though.

That's purdy. I always had a fondness for that model truck. The old man had a '64, and a friend of mine in college had a '65. Two tons of drum-braked metal with no seat belts, ABS, or collapsable steering wheel

I'm a wood guy. I'd suggest metal for the truck. Wood outside just gets beat up. That's why they build vehicles from metal.

And if you have to make it from wood, make sure it sheds water. That third pic you posted is just dumb.

What business is he in? That might drive the design.

Blog Entries
    Agreed his first inspiration pic ain’t that inspirational. He owns an electrical business with a fleet of vans etc. He doesn’t do much of the electrical work these days - manages the business etc.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    I feel like white oak may be the most locally available weather tolerant wood. With the right water shedding design and appropriate finish it should hold up nicely considering it will
    generally by a nice weather vehicle only.
    - Bob R.

If you're determined to use wood, think ahead to the refinishing job. If you put a film finish on the oak, and put it out in the weather, the film finish will eventually need refinishing. You'll want to remove the old finish, sand wood where water got to it, and re-apply the film finish. Reflect that job into your design. Make the whole surface easy to sand. No indentations, and as few inside corners as you can manage.

The sun is going to be the killer. You could use a south American decking wood but if it spends much time outside it'll turn gray. They don't like to absorb finishes. However if it's going to be inside a garage most of the time then it should last a very long time. Zebra or tiger wood I think would look nice. Very durable but not insanely heavy like ipe. It would allow for the occasional use of the bed of the truck.

I agree with Alex that Tigerwood is an interesting option for this kind of project.

I'm not sure I'd personally want to bugger that existing pickup bed, however...it looks to be in fine condition and therefore, the vehicle may be more valuable with it on there than replaced by a wooden construction. But I'm not the owner...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It would be more functional if the box is accessible from the sides with 2 doors on the top, imho. I cannot imagine having to get into the bed to open doors facing the rear of the truck. If it is decorative only, the examples shown might work.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    It would be more functional if the box is accessible from the sides with 2 doors on the top, imho. I cannot imagine having to get into the bed to open doors facing the rear of the truck. If it is decorative only, the examples shown might work.
    I agree, I'll test this thought with him. The side rails would need to be adjusted to accommodate, but that could be viewed as an opportunity to have the box the the rails "match" perhaps.

(edit, and your signature is always my favorite because I can definitely relate)
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with Alex that Tigerwood is an interesting option for this kind of project.

I'm not sure I'd personally want to bugger that existing pickup bed, however...it looks to be in fine condition and therefore, the vehicle may be more valuable with it on there than replaced by a wooden construction. But I'm not the owner...
    The plan is that the truck box will be entirely removable to allow for instances where the full bed is needed, or if it needs to be set aside for any other reason.
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Regarding material choice...

The neighbor pointed to his mahogany porch floor boards which see partial weather all year long and look good a decade after install. Thoughts on that?

Also... (and Jim, you might know of this place?) there's a composite material supplier near by (Jim.. norristown... I'll have to find the company name). The same material used for making outdoor porch furniture etc. I believe it's made of recycled milk jugs. If the right color combination is selected, it can look very nice... definitely not a wood clone, but perhaps worth the compromise for the weather tolerance?
    - Bob R.

I think that supplier is in Plymouth Meeting/Norristown as you mention. Not sure if that stuff will provide the look the truck owner is looking for, however.

Mahogany is certainly weather resistant in general. The Tiger Wood I mentioned is often used for decks and is a bit harder, however. I got some scraps from my neighbor's former fiancé who is in the deck and outdoor home enhancement business and CNC cut small boxes with it. It finishes up really beautifully. No matter what wood you choose, it's going to feel the effects of the weather and sun at some point, even with a good UV resistant product on it. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...