Thread: Member cannot rejoin the forum because of email issue

Member cannot rejoin the forum because of email issue

A friend who I met on the forum here, Christopher Hachet, has been trying to get back onto the forum. His email address is provided by his employer. He said that when he tries to reset his password, that an email is sent to him but that it is caught up in their filters and not let through.

Chris asked me to reach out to the moderators / admins for advice on how he should deal with this. If you cannot get a hold of him, you can email me directly, but you probably already knew that) or just post directions here.

I don't think that he has another email address. but then again, I have other email addresses that I simply do not generally use (gmail account because I have an android phone, an email provided by my internet provider, etc).

In retrospect, I should have obtained more information, but we were pretty focused on sharpening some plane irons.

I may take a while to respond; sadly my cell phone died so I do not receive immediate notification. it is a bit refreshing and a bit stressful being addicted to my phone as I usually am. Should have a repaired (or new) phone within the week I expect. You know how weird it is to not have the internet at your beck and call all the time?

So, any help you can render is appreciated.

For reference, Chris posted here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-and-Pitonyak

https://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?107947-Chris-Hachet

I do not know if all your emails would be blocked, in which case he probably should obtain a new email address and change it (my opinion, not something I have discussed with Chris).
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-13-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I sent Chris an email.
    Thanks Keith, let me know if for some crazy reason he does not respond. I will shoot him a message using two other communication types so that he knows to look for it! have a great weekend. My job here is done :-)

I have missed him on the forum, I am glad he is coming back.

I'd suggest he just make a gmail account. Better to keep this kind of stuff off work systems in any event. It's free, there's no downside I can imagine to having a personal address that isn't dependent on your employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Andrew,

My email to him was blocked.
    Ironically, so was mine, and I emailed him the day before with no issue.

My cell phone is broken (in the shop), but I can still send a text message without using a cell phone... If I do not hear back from him in short order I will call him. Worst case, I will see him Saturday to glue up a table top. . Let me see what is going on.

Why doesn't Christopher use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of each page to take care of this? He doesn't need to be logged in or have an account to send message to the Administrators using his personal email address. He can use the comments section to give enough information to allow Keith to update his account and reset his password.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'd suggest he just make a gmail account. Better to keep this kind of stuff off work systems in any event. It's free, there's no downside I can imagine to having a personal address that isn't dependent on your employer.
    Excellent advice. I try to limit my exposure to Google - they probably know more about me than they need to as it is - but there are several reputable email providers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Why doesn't Christopher use the "Contact Us" feature at the bottom of each page to take care of this? He doesn't need to be logged in or have an account to send message to the Administrators using his personal email address. He can use the comments section to give enough information to allow Keith to update his account and reset his password.

Two things. First, my email to him yesterday went through (chachet@xxxxx) so I assume that they were doing some kind of service.

Second I will tell him to use a contact us from any page on the forum.

Finally, I will ask him for a specific email being specific about what he wants. I mean, if automated messages are dropped, then he probably does not want to simply change his password, but I guess I did not clarify.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-16-2020 at 9:01 AM. Reason: removed email address so it's not displayed publicaly

I just sent this to him:

Chris,

You can contact them (sawmill creek) directly from here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/sendmessage.php

Second, what specifically do you want them to do? Reset your password? Set your email to a different email address that their automated system is able to use; for example, gmail?

You probably do want them to be able to send automated emails to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I just sent this to him:

Chris,

You can contact them (sawmill creek) directly from here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/sendmessage.php

Second, what specifically do you want them to do? Reset your password? Set your email to a different email address that their automated system is able to use; for example, gmail?

You probably do want them to be able to send automated emails to you.
    That email was rejected. I suspect that any email that contains a link is rejected (or similar). That is not ok I think. I suggested he setup an email (such as gmail). I also told him how to get to the contact us link but did not include the link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    That email was rejected. I suspect that any email that contains a link is rejected (or similar).
    Copy the link and put a single quote mark in front of the https

'https://sawmillcreek.org/sendmessage.php
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute