Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Admit it-What Harbor Freight tools do you have?

Blog Entries
    I get various gloves from HF like nitrile, latex and so on. My metal bench vise is from there. I wouldn’t buy anything that requires precision or quality material. If it’s big, heavy cast iron and it doesn’t have to be accurate, ok.

I ran into roofing contractor with a cart full of hammers. He said his workers stole so many he stopped getting nice ones.

My old rule of thumb was to never buy anything electrical or mechanical (more than a few moving parts). That said, they've stepped up their game the past few years. The US General toolboxes are hard to beat for the money and build, have been for a few years. They're definitely focusing on better quality with their "premier brands". Like everyone else, they're made by the same few companies...they just don't settle for all the rejects like they used to. It'll be interesting to see where this goes in the next few years. The CEO seems serious about the changes and making it the destination for tools. Noticed a few days ago they added their own store "credit card". Rate is ridiculous, but better than what most other stores offer.

In the last year I've bought a few items that break my rule, so far so good. Still a bit hesitant to buy anything big yet.

My list
    (1 Horrible, 3 Average, 5 Excellent)

• Krause & Becker Airless Paint Sprayer - 4/5
    • Mover's Dolly - 4/5
    • Mover's Blankets - 5/5
    • Pneumatic Tires (replacements for a dolly) - 5/5
    • Orange Ratchet Straps - 5/5
    • Link Belt - 5/5
    • Merlin Air Chuck w/Dial Guage - 4/5
    • Masonry Drill Bit Set - 3/5
    • Bauer Impact Bit Holder - 4/5
    • Magnetic Tool Holders (multiple) - 5/5 [Great cheap source of magnets when you have to have them]
    • White US General 5-drawer Series 2 Cart (Woodworking hand tools cart) - 5/5
    • Yellow US General 4-drawer Series 2 Cart (Sockets, Wrenches, Pliers, Extensions) - 5/5
    • Icon 1/2" Breaker Bar - 5/5
    • Daytona Super Duty Low Profile Floor Jack - 5/5
    Last edited by Michael Donnermeyer; 07-31-2020 at 6:45 AM.

I just bought the first HF power tool for me ever...an impact drill/driver for a specific home improvement job where the impact feature will be an asset. The sale price was also on sale further... KF is sometimes like Kohls...you never know what the actual bottom line price will be until you figure out the sale deal. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just bought their electric rotary cutter and it works surprisingly well.
    Dave Davies

Bought another US General little roll cabinet from them today. It's for little used stuff in the mechanic shop. I don't think they would be for a mechanic that uses one every day for a living, but for occasional use I like them better than Craftsman.

6. A box of gloves and some shrink wrap.

Blog Entries
    Today I was trimming some small tree limbs with my sawzall, I had a Bosch blade in it that was pretty old and seemed to be dull so I changed it and put in a new Harbor Freight Master Mechanic blade. Maybe it would cut butter but it certainly couldn't cut small tree limbs.
    I ordered some more Bosch blades and am going to throw out the Harbor Freight blades.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Today I was trimming some small tree limbs with my sawzall, I had a Bosch blade in it that was pretty old and seemed to be dull so I changed it and put in a new Harbor Freight Master Mechanic blade. Maybe it would cut butter but it certainly couldn't cut small tree limbs.
    I ordered some more Bosch blades and am going to throw out the Harbor Freight blades.
    Were you using a pruning blade?
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Were you using a pruning blade?
    Both the Bosch and the Master Mechanic blades were 6", 6tpi, wood cutting blades
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Dennis this reminds me of our most used HF power tool - their 'chainsaw on a stick'. We can reach everywhere on our lot with a 100' 12 ga. extension cord so saw is electric. Little thing is downright handy. I have a Stihl gas powered saw that hasn't run in years, the electric saw is just so convenient and we're mostly pruning limbs so don't need more than about 3" capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/95-in-...ugg_q=pole+saw

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Bought another US General little roll cabinet from them today. It's for little used stuff in the mechanic shop. I don't think they would be for a mechanic that uses one every day for a living, but for occasional use I like them better than Craftsman.
    Why wouldn’t they be for the professional mechanic ?

My unscientific comparison btw my HF and Matco carts tells me that HF will certainly last a career of wrenching on cars. It certainly doesn’t carry the braggin rights of a Snappy, MAC, or Matco, nor is it made in the USA. But then again it costs 1/10 of the big boys.

Which , to me represents the smarter play for a pro mechanic.

Bought the $8 Countersink set. It dulled after about 50 uses. Complete junk.
    Regards,

Tom

I was in a pinch and needed a 4" angle grinder for some masonry work, happened upon the below review and picked one of these up. Doesn't compare to my Metabo (which I wasn't able to get to) but it isn't bad at all for $37 out the door. I'd wager it's certainly as good as similar 8a Makita / Bosch / DeWalt home centre ones for slightly over 1/3 the cost.

Probably not a forever tool but surprisingly nicely made.

My little suitcase Mig welder showed up today will try it out around Thanksgiving when i am allowed to be on my feet again

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I was in a pinch and needed a 4" angle grinder for some masonry work, happened upon the below review and picked one of these up. Doesn't compare to my Metabo (which I wasn't able to get to) but it isn't bad at all for $37 out the door. I'd wager it's certainly as good as similar 8a Makita / Bosch / DeWalt home centre ones for slightly over 1/3 the cost.

Probably not a forever tool but surprisingly nicely made.
    I don't know about the Bauer model but I have read people having good luck with the HF brands when it comes to 4 1/2" angle grinders. The only issue they seam to have is that the Chinese don't put much grease and it's a low quality grease on the gears. They just clean it off and grease it up. They even note that the sound level drops some and it's cooler to the touch when using.

I did pick up a Bauer jigsaw a couple months ago for a specific job when my DeWalt broke. For less than $50 with a coupon it looks like it's a good deal. Other than the LED light always being on (just like my Bosch router) it's done several jobs now without a problem.