Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Admit it-What Harbor Freight tools do you have?

Dial indicator, with magnetic base, dial calipers, digital calipers, F clamps, tarps, painters drop cloths, moving blanket, moving dollies, brad / staple nailer, pin nailers ( both purple and silver/red ones,) 6n1 framing nailer (it's heavy, works perfectly, replaced with a Hitachi, which doesn't work perfectly,) air tool oil, air hose fittings, air pressure regulator, multi tool, green link belt, 10" pneumatic tires, purple HVLP guns (own several , one for each color,) multimeters (free,) 5 minute epoxy, magnetic tool trays (free,) click type torque wrenches, 25" breaker bar, roping gloves, nitrile gloves, chalk for welding, welding rod, rechargable NMH batteries ( AA, and AAA,) mortising bits for router, zip ties, 50' hose reels (took hose off and replaced with 100' hose,) 4 1/2 angle grinder ($9.99,) pick set (free,) blades for my Porta-band, led flash light, head band light. Latest purchase is a Pierce coil roofing nailer..On recent rebuild of shed across back of shop, worked flawlessly. Wish I could say the same for my Hitachi framing nailer

I have bought a bunch of stuff, all has worked well, the only thing I really wasn't happy with was the 4x6 belt and disc sander.

Some mechanics stuff.
    Deadblows.
    3/8" cordless ratchet, I think this is a gem of a deal for the guy that wrenches enough to need a powered ratchet, but will never get paid to do it.
    Automotive code scanner with live data, SRS, and all the other nifty data stuffs. Internally it's a repackaged big name brand unit that would cost much more elsewhere. Also a gem.
    In my opinion, their top shelf power tools are at least on par with the consumer stuff from the borg.

Oh, and their Icon brand is pretty sweet for the price. I'll definitely be looking at them when I'm in the market for some new grease monkey stuff.

What Harbor Freight tools do I own?

None....Regards, Rod

I was in H. f. One day and this older fellow came in to return an idem. Seems he buys a cheaply and gets the free gift and then in a few days returns the purchased Idem gets his money back. “FREE GIFT”. Then he buys something else and gets a free gift and then. You get the idea. Any way the manager came out and told the clerk after he had left that had to stop. Not sure what happened the next time. There are all kinds of ways to skin the “——“

Charles, there are always unfortunately some folks who try to game the system. They get away with it for awhile, but underestimate the ability of store staff to begin to recognize repeat behavior. I managed a retail operation back in the 180s for about 8 years...and there were folks who did the same kind of thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've just heard about the Harbor Freight store. Was planning to go take a look this coming week. What kind of "free gift" are they handing out?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I've just heard about the Harbor Freight store. Was planning to go take a look this coming week. What kind of "free gift" are they handing out?
    David
    There is usually a coupon involved and it's tied to your spend, I believe. Definitely worth the trip to browse...
    --

I will probably forget some but I have the 2hp DC, hooked to an Oneida super dust deputy and discharging outside. I have a right angle grinder, a flooring nailer/stapler, 15 guage finish nailer, framing nailer, narrow crown stapler (have 2, one will only do 3/4, other is fine), wide stapler, big 10amp hammer drill (works as demolition hammer too, great for the price). Also have 48 and 60 inch aluminum clamps and some 16 or 18 inch clamps and a bunch of C clamps. I also have a flush trim saw and wish I could find another. In general, I am a bit leery of their power tools but I have some that work fine. I see little difference in clamps, especially C clamps. The long aluminum clamps are not exactly a pleasure to use but they exert enough pressure if your joint is good. And they are a pleasure to carry around.

Jim, I was not condoning his behavior by any means. I was in the utility business my whole working life. My dad told me when I was quite young, “ 10% of the people will give you 90% of your problems and take 90% of your time. The 90% never complain, you hardly get to see and really never get to know”. “Don’t judge the 90% by the 10%”.

For work I replaced my old craftsman bottom box with the US general, very nice for the price slides are a lot better and very much better than the new Chinese Craftsman boxes. I also have transfer punches and gasket punches for work, they are fine unless your an animal and beat the hell out of them which even American made stuff wouldn't hold up to. One of the best buys from Harbor Freight is their 5000k, 5000 lumen 4' shop lights, with coupon they are $20 and are like the sun! I wouldn't buy stuff from there for everyday use, but for a one off job that you might need a specialized tool much cheaper than buying a name brand tool. I look at tools as an investment to which you should try and get the best you can afford if it's something plan on using a lot and having for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Jim, I was not condoning his behavior by any means. I was in the utility business my whole working life. My dad told me when I was quite young, “ 10% of the people will give you 90% of your problems and take 90% of your time. The 90% never complain, you hardly get to see and really never get to know”. “Don’t judge the 90% by the 10%”.
    Oh, I understand that...I was just piling on to what you wrote in support of it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    David
    Be warned they all reek of Chinese cosmolene & rubber.

I have a few things from HF, largest is a bead blaster, no power tools, & some small tools, & a digital caliper. When you could buy one of their 4" grinders for around $12 bucks, was asked to look at one, realized why, cheesy wiring, no UL or other NRTL, listing just a cheap throwaway tool, since I made the repairs for free, that was the only reason it was worth repairing. I'll keep my old 30 YO Hitachi, & pre ChiCom Milwaukee grinders.

I buy odds and ends in there. Saw the good reviews on the dust collector but ended up throwing mine in the trash. The metal was so thin around the dust bag it kept collapsing. The plug fell off and got tired of trying to modify it. I still have the same penn state industries collector I bought 20 years ago. HB is stepping up their game and some of their hand tools look a lot better.