Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Admit it-What Harbor Freight tools do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    hvlp spray guns. Plenty good for shooting DTM on the steel equipment trailers.
    What is DTM?

I can't imagine spraying Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters or Digital Transaction Management on trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Dennis, I have none with moving parts. I have a couple of things for welding. I have known too many people who have had things with motors quit and have returned them repeatedly for replacement but I don't want to stop and drive for that. I've never been sorry for buying pro tools for hobby and farm use. More power to those who shop at HF and I'm glad it works out.

Maybe I'd stop in and look around more often if it wasn't a 1+ hour round trip. However, so far I've shopped at HF exact twice in my life that I can remember, once accompanying my brother who bought an anvil for me. It has no moving parts.
    It will when the moving part chips off and falls on your foot. :^)

Seriously, I have the shop crane and the 20-ton press, but I always try to keep in mind where stuff is gonna go when they fail. I also have some bodywork tools. No woodworking tools, ever, that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What is DTM?

I can't imagine spraying Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters or Digital Transaction Management on trailers.
    �� Direct To Metal paint. I was doing that for my cousin, he loves quick and dirty when it comes to that kind of thing. Can’t blame him, his guys beat stuff up pretty fast

A magnetic base for my dial indicator, because I wasn’t willing to spend over $100 for a Starrett. Works as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    None! I am old and already own most everything I need so my point of view is different than others getting started. I have walked through the store twice now. First time could not find anything meeting my needs or quality standards. Last time a couple months ago when I had one of those 20% off coupons. Wanted some type of adjustable height cart or roll around table. Turns out the coupon can’t be used for anything larger. Amazing the incredibly long list of excluded store items for the coupons.
    Same as Peter except I felt slightly nauseous after leaving the store the one time I was there.

Their stubby hammers are great for working with kids -- they have enough mass to be useful.

Matt

Geez: I thought my old man was cruel for using a yardstick
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    you guys all missed one of the best things they make ....zip ties. Gloves,.
    Ah, I forgot those...yea, in the very rare moment I go to a HF store (none are close by), I always pick up packages of zip ties and 9 mil nitrile gloves if they have them in XL.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have too much to list everything.
    I think people are a little hard on HF considering the price point. And they have improved quality too.
    I have like 3 of the angle grinders. https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...der-69645.html got them on sale for like $7.99. Low end quality for sure but handy. I keep one with a grinding wheel to sharpen mower blades, another with a wire wheel, another with a cut off wheel. Just grab and go. My good name brand grinder I will use for big jobs.
    Years ago I purchased a Milwaukee reciprocating saw. A beast for sure. But if I had to do over I would just get the $19.99 HF job. We had one at work and it is about as low end as one could get. But It would have done 100% of my needs the two times in 20 years I have used it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have this gizmo on my air compressor that drains it for an instant when the compressor starts and shuts down. It’s worked fine for 10 years. Someday I’m going to want another one and I don’t think HF sells them anymore. What are they called?

my general take is that anything that’s made from cast iron and doesn’t have to be accurate is fine. I have a 6” bench vise that’s fine.

1/2 inch breaker bar
    1/2 inch torque wrench
    pancake compressor
    cutoff grinder
    sawzall
    heat gun
    rolling toolbox (incredible bargain when they're on sale)

probably a few more. They're cheap and for a hobbyist, most of the time they're "good enough". For something I use only occasionally, I can't see paying the big bucks for a name brand. Which, many times is made in the same factory in China!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I think people are a little hard on HF considering the price point. And they have improved quality too.
    I suspect I would visit one of their stores more often if there was one a lot closer...all three "within range" are a bit of a drive in directions that I don't typically go. That means a planned trip, so it only happens once or twice a year. I agree that while there is often negative commentary, HF provides a service that is useful/helpful if what they sell is kept in perspective. Many of us have certain things that HF has become the go-to for, like the wire ties previously mentioned. Set realistic expectations and have those coupons ready!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I have this gizmo on my air compressor that drains it for an instant when the compressor starts and shuts down. It’s worked fine for 10 years. Someday I’m going to want another one and I don’t think HF sells them anymore. What are they called?

my general take is that anything that’s made from cast iron and doesn’t have to be accurate is fine. I have a 6” bench vise that’s fine.

Automatic drain valve. I have an electric one with a timer. It vents on start up, shut down and every 30 minutes. It will drain the tank overnite so I wired it to only get power when the motor is running.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-13-2020 at 7:29 PM.

I was just working in my shop all afternoon and realized there is one more HF item that I will buy more of, the knit gloves with the "grippy" rubber palms and fingers. I only see HF a couple times a year when we go to Montana and I grabbed two pairs of these to try out. I use them face jointing lumber and handling and cutting sheet goods,saves on splinters and provides my very dry skin with more grip.

When my shop burned, I could not afford to replace all the fancy tools I had acquired over the years. So it was off to Harbor Frt for most of it. Not the best quality, but for my use the tools seems right. The belt sander seems under powered, but for the money, I would have to spend 2 or 3 times the amount and still not great. I have 2 of the 12 x 34 wood lathes, the 4 inch belt sander, the 1 inch belt sander, A small small drill press, a saber saw, an electric drill, I use their goat skin gloves on the farm, go through 2 or 3 pair a year. (They are normally quite tough) Assorted screw drivers, the life time warranted sae wrench set and metric wrench set, tri square, Air brush kits, air compressors, paint guns, etc. I have had the 29.99 chain saw sharpener for about 17 years. It works great for what it is.