Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Admit it-What Harbor Freight tools do you have?

1/2" Electric Impact Gun (great for when I need to pull the tires off my car)
    Oscillating multi tool
    Chisel set that I use when I don't want to damage my good ones
    SAE and Metric ratchet wrenches
    Aluminum bar clamps and small f-style clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Merrill View Post
    Titanium coated drill and step drill bits. Hard to beat for the $
    Impact driver tips (seems to be as good as the name brands for 1/2 the cost)
    Torque wrenches. My son worked at an airplane assembly plant and they used them.
    Was this by any chance Boeing South Carolina (Charleston)?
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-16-2020 at 5:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Let's see... wide crown pneumatic stapler, 1-1/8" SDS hammer drill, 8" polisher, saw chain sharpener, diamond circular saw blade sharpener (just used it yesterday), 1/2" breaker bar, 9 mil nitrile gloves, tee handle allen wrench set for starters.
    NOW you tell me...

12" Drill Press going on 20 years.

They had just opened in my town and it was $89. Fair amount of run-out with the chuck starting to go but for the price? I'd buy it again.

In fact, I'm about to look for a replacement chuck, nothing wrong with the motor.

OK, here's a list off the top of my head -

3 wooden work benches - I attached them together for a nice workshop bench (with drawers and vices) - good value
    3" belt sander - good
    Pneumatic roof nailer - worked great for my job, better than renting one
    Electrical plug ends - great value, lots of them
    Screw drivers - great, have lots; great handles
    Assorted sizes - boxes of cheap twist bits - how can you go wrong for most work?
    Brass disconnect hose ends - good, but be careful as they end up leaking in a couple of years
    Moving floor dollies - good
    Nitrile gloves - excellent
    Wood chisels - great for general work
    3/8" & 1/2" rachet and sockets - great (like the handle grip better than my S-K's)
    Digital calipers - good
    Pneumatic disc sander - good
    1/2" corded electric drill - good
    Foam floor mats - good
    Hard plastic compartment storage boxes - great
    Work gloves - good
    Pneumatic floor nailer - great - again, cheaper than renting; really impressed
    Rolling metal storage cart - good
    C clamps - good
    Loading ramps - great
    Oscillating multi tool - good
    Rachet straps - good
    Pipe clamps - good
    AA & AAA batteries - not so good, wouldn't buy again
    Portable air tank - good
    Bar clamps - bad, worse thing bought at HF

As a hobbyist, a lot of their items work great for me. If I was a professional and used the tools more frequently, then likely a different story. But, they are a great choice for certain tools.
    I bought several with hesitancy but was pleasantly surprised how well they stood up.

Various tools. The standout is my floor model drill press that is over 40 years old. HF was selling tools by phone in the 70's and made an offer I couldn't refuse . I changed the chuck to a better one because of runout but it still runs perfectly . I believe it was made in Taiwan.

Jim

Oh man, I love hazard fraught.... I will admin some of their stuff is crap, but much is a great deal.

10 in drill press, POS, but worked. Couldn't drive a reasonable size bit through metal or wood. Replaced with vintage Delta and have no regerts.
    Clamps, F type great, I nee more...
    Nitrile gloves, great, not as durable as name brand but still excellent. Dozens of boxes.
    Admiral 80T 12", nice blade, not great but not bad. good price
    HF 2hp dust collector, pretty good.
    12" Chicago electric sliding miter saw. Meh, not good, but really not bad.
    {insert dozens of other things here}
    21 gallon compressor, loud but pretty solid. better than expected overall
    cheap heat gun, if you don't have a heat gun, buy one.
    drill bits, mediocre, but I now have the odd tap drill sizes i need and then some.
    corded drill, not variable speed, I didnt even know that they made non-variable speed drills, don't buy this.
    sandpaper, emery rolls are fine. not norton or 3m, but not too bad.
    Lots of wrenches, sockets, etc
    all of the freebies

I'm gonna stop here, but in general, if you aren't 100% certain that you are using it constantly, it is worth the investment. Most of their tools are pretty good. A lot are the same as store brand tools at a lower price, my planer and small bandsaw for instance (which are the store brand versions)

Over half the tools in my shop are from Harbor Fright. The vast majority work perfectly and "keep on ticking"

RF-30 Mill -
    MIG welder
    Floor drill press
    14" wood bandsaw
    5 x8 (?) metal bandsaw
    Chop saw
    Miter saw
    Grinders (4)
    Angle grinders (4)
    Angle drill
    Wrenches and then more wrenches
    Dremel like tools (2) - lower quality but still running
    Scroll saw (works fine but some unnecessary vibration
    2 HP Dust collector
    1 HP Dust collector
    Reciprocal saws (2) - (I bought one to replace a Milwaukee that prematurely died)
    A bunch of air tools.
    MT2 drill chuck

I don't like their sandpaper, Dremel-like tools, and lathe cutting tools. And I realize that my HF tools are all lower-end tools and in some cases a bit more basic. But they do the job for me. Most are at least 10 years old and some older. The angle drill makes unnecessary gear noise and may end up having a shortened life. It is only three years old but continues to still work fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it fails in the next 5 to 10 years. (Humor).

4"x36" with 6" disk sander
    mobile base with casters (for my table saw)
    roller (out feed) stand (again for my saw)
    heat gun
    8" bench top drill press
    drill press table with fence
    dial caliper
    foam mats
    magnetic dish parts holder
    dozen free flashlights more or less
    fixed base router (back up router)
    3 moving dollies
    bunch of clamps (various sizes)
    log splitter (manual pump)
    red wagon
    portable pancake air compressor
    misc. small hand tools (jeweler screwdrivers etc)

One thing I did buy from Harbor Freight that, while it works isn't easy to use. They sold blue 120 amp AC stick welders for $89 at the time. I bought a better ground clamp and a better shield, the shield was a flimsy cardboard affair though I did use it - once - and it worked. I was able to build some mobile bases and a few other metal projects but it is a challenge to strike an arc. Once struck it's fine. If I hadn't had experience with better stick welders before I'd have blamed myself. I read once that the problem is low open circuit voltage. This is an example of why I think Harbor Freight stuff has its place. I used the welder for a couple projects and put it away. haven't touched it in at least 5 years, probably longer. I could have bought a better machine, used it and sold it when I was done but then I may have to buy another and go through the same cycle with some loss of $$. Having $89 sitting doing nothing is not a strain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Was this by any chance Boeing South Carolina (Charleston)?
    Spirit in Kinston, NC

12. Do they produce tillers/cultivators? For some reason I can't open their website. On the web there's info only about blowers and trimmers and review lists like here do not mention Harbor Freight at all

spindle sander. some clamps.
    Brian

I forgot about the mechanic shop. I have a couple of their tool cabinets, a parts washer, and several of their Daytona floor jacks. I bought the floor jacks to make it easy to level shipping containers, and ended up liking them better than the old name brand one I have.

A 23 gauge pin nailer which I bought for about $10. I have since upgraded but used it for years trouble free since it was something I used only infrequently.

A right angel VS sander which I use for sanding bowls on the lathe - $30. Works great with no problems.

Thinking about an electric body saw for carving on wooden bowls-$40. Cheap but I'm sure would work for the number of times I will use it.