Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Admit it-What Harbor Freight tools do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    My little suitcase Mig welder showed up today will try it out around Thanksgiving when i am allowed to be on my feet again
    Dude...you can weld sitting down. You really want to wait that long to try out a...new tool? LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I don't know about the Bauer model but I have read people having good luck with the HF brands when it comes to 4 1/2" angle grinders. The only issue they seam to have is that the Chinese don't put much grease and it's a low quality grease on the gears. They just clean it off and grease it up. They even note that the sound level drops some and it's cooler to the touch when using.
    I'll need to remember to do that, thanks. Any idea what grease to use as a replacement? I'd noticed that all of the major brand 4.5" grinders at the store were also made in China, might as well spend as little as possible if that's going to be the case.

Going to be using mine next on my roof to grind out pointing on a chimney, hopefully it doesn't somehow accidentally fall to it's death below. Won't kill me if it does though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dude...you can weld sitting down. You really want to wait that long to try out a...new tool? LOL
    Need to get some parts out of the basement and then set everything up out in the garage. Kind hard to do when foot is supposed to be heart height all the time. Too high a risk of amputation this time around to do anything other than doctors orders.
    If I behave should be back to light work at home by thanksgiving, or I can end up back in hospital for fourth operation in a month
    Ron

Ron, I hope things heal up very well for you and yes, being cautious is totally worthy. THAT is the most important thing. The new tool absolutely will wait for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'll need to remember to do that, thanks. Any idea what grease to use as a replacement? I'd noticed that all of the major brand 4.5" grinders at the store were also made in China, might as well spend as little as possible if that's going to be the case.

Going to be using mine next on my roof to grind out pointing on a chimney, hopefully it doesn't somehow accidentally fall to it's death below. Won't kill me if it does though.
    I think any high temp grease would work but I have heard that grease for the angled head on a string trimmer and CV joints works well. I'm sure every brand that makes the grinders has their own special grease that they will sell you for a premium. I do know you want to fill it about half way. Enough so once the grease warms up it'll flow back to the gears and bearings but not too much because it'll start causing resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Why wouldn’t they be for the professional mechanic ?

My unscientific comparison btw my HF and Matco carts tells me that HF will certainly last a career of wrenching on cars. It certainly doesn’t carry the braggin rights of a Snappy, MAC, or Matco, nor is it made in the USA. But then again it costs 1/10 of the big boys.

Which , to me represents the smarter play for a pro mechanic.
    Maybe so. The slides seem to work a lot better, once I loaded the drawers with some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So yesterday I asked for a recommendation for a pin nailer as my Harbor Freight one had stopped working. I was completely surprised when several Creekers recommended I buy the Harbor Freight one. I did buy it (for $22 after a 20% coupon) what did I have to lose? It works fine. Mine was about 10 years old and not used very much, but it does appear to me that the Harbor Freight line has improved over the years.

So Creekers admit it: WHAT HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS DO YOU HAVE? Don't be scared we won't, at least I won't, yell at you
    I'll start :
    obviously I own the pin nailer,
    I own the mini lathe , very happy with it.
    I owned the scroll saw, junk, it broke in a week and was returned for full credit and I bought a Ridgid.
    Own the cutoff tool, works fine.
    Sandpaper, don't even think about it.
    I bought their small pack of epoxy, $1.79, works fine
    I own several of their clamps, they're OK but I prefer my Irwins and my Jets
    I have the 2hp dust collector, works great
    Digital caliper, works fine
    Benchtop.drill.press, 10 years old , still going after one repair
    I'm a hobbyist, and I think that most of the Harbor Freight line is aimed at me, I'm would imagine that if I were a professional ,using tools, all day, every day, I'd use different brands.

Hey mate, If you are still looking for it then i have some bits recommendations:-

>WARRIOR Carbide Tip Woodworking Router Bit Set
    >LIFETIME CARBIDE Carbide Tip
    >WARRIOR 1/4 In. Carbide Tip Roundover
    >DRILL MASTER High Speed Steel Spiral Mortising
    >WARRIOR Carbide Tip Straight

These are some of the good Router Bit for Harbor Freight tools. I got to know about that from an article(read) which i personally recommend to read as in that some good information are there which i like when i read it first. Discussion is goes around Why choose Harbor Freight router bits and its good and bad side, detailed description for top router bits.
    I can't quote whole article there that's why gave you a reference. That will give an good idea for your prob

Hope it helps you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I think any high temp grease would work but I have heard that grease for the angled head on a string trimmer and CV joints works well. I'm sure every brand that makes the grinders has their own special grease that they will sell you for a premium. I do know you want to fill it about half way. Enough so once the grease warms up it'll flow back to the gears and bearings but not too much because it'll start causing resistance.
    Odd, I disassembled the gear housing on mine and it was already packed with what looked to be a higher quality synthetic grease. Here’s hoping this thing lasts for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Odd, I disassembled the gear housing on mine and it was already packed with what looked to be a higher quality synthetic grease. Here’s hoping this thing lasts for a while.
    I guess when you buy the better brand from HF you get more and better grease. Good to know.