Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me identify this tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Bob,

The 14MD comes with three metric blades, but the 14MA comes with the single steel blade. I have both, because I was constantly switching between the large and small blades when making dovetails.
    Mike, I only did the tool tuning course, but you did the dovetail week. Was I right that David uses the 14MD?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Mike, I only did the tool tuning course, but you did the dovetail week. Was I right that David uses the 14MD?
    Bob, yes, David uses the 14MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    At first I thought it was a machinist vernier, like one I have, but it looks like it's a skinny square.
    I got mine for the same reasons as in the book. It was made by J. P. Ehrmann, Watervliet, NY. I wasn't able to find much about this maker.
    Attachment 434958
    Rafael, I would love to connect with you regarding JP Ehrmann. I have done some research on my end too and would love to share notes. I own several of his double rules and a friend has his original toolbox! I'm also in contact with someone familiar with his family tree - his grandfather in Switzerland was also a machinist! I don't think I can message on here yet to share contact info - maybe because I'm a new member?! We could start a thread on it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmit View Post
    Rafael, I would love to connect with you regarding JP Ehrmann.
    If you're on facebook, search for me there and send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    If you're on facebook, search for me there and send me a PM.
    I just tried and there are a hundred Rafael Herrera!

Blog Entries
    Joe welcome to the Creek, to become a Contributor costs $6. It will provide you with the ability to see SMC hosted images and also an ability to send private messages to other contributing members.

Were all of the people named Rafael Herrera in Pittsburg, PA?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. There were none in PA that look like a fit. Rafael - message me from this Facebook post. I have pics of a couple JP Ehrmann double rules. I was going to sell them but decided to keep them. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6709974981122/

Looks a lot like a Brown & Sharpe 554 tool makers square.

In the machining world, those small machinist squares are very common - lukfin, B&S, Starrett, General, all made them, and variations of (like ones with the ability to change angles or blade types). This one is weird because its a double rule, and made by a very small maker who, as far as I can tell, only made this one tool.