Thread: new router bit

new router bit

I picked up a Whiteside spiral flush trim bit. First time I go to use it, it's leaving a stripe in all the cuts. My sense that there's a slight imperfection that's leaving the stripe. It sands out easily, but for a premium (~$80) bit, I'm surprised. Maybe my expectations are too high.

If you were getting this with a brand new bit, would you return it, or just roll with it?

3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Walter View Post
    I picked up a Whiteside spiral flush trim bit. First time I go to use it, it's leaving a stripe in all the cuts. My sense that there's a slight imperfection that's leaving the stripe. It sands out easily, but for a premium (~$80) bit, I'm surprised. Maybe my expectations are too high.

If you were getting this with a brand new bit, would you return it, or just roll with it?

3.jpg
    Return it.

Blog Entries
    Yep, something is wrong there. White side has always been excellent as far as Customer Service goes. Just give them a call.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

is this a compression bit?

Not a compression bit, just a spiral down

Clearly, there is a problem with that specific cutter. Contact the company and get a replacement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bryce, that's pretty weird. My first thought was like Johnny's, that it was a combo up/down bit. Can you post a picture of that bit?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks all - I'll do a return/replacement.