Thread: Bending Acrylic

Lightbulb Bending Acrylic

Hi Guys,

So currently due to Corona, my business havent been able to off its feet (startup), so I have been working on ideas for future projects and prototypes. This has sparked a fire in my girl, who has been spewing out ideas after ideas. However, im a little lost when it comes to bending and forming acrylic.

So without having a huge oven to heat it up, is the next thing a heat gun?

- How do I prevent it to "bend" back?
    - How well does acrylic do, as lamp shades?
    - How do I join 2 pieces, without getting visible lines in the joints?

last but not least. How do you prevent a cut pattern in acrylic, not to deform when the sheet is heated and bent?

Looking forward to hearing some advice from you pros in here.
    Last edited by Soren Christensen; 06-12-2020 at 4:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bending: depends on the type of bend. If you just want a right angle, look for a strip heater which is basically a straight heating element mounted in something heat proof. If you want to curve it, you need an oven.
    Lamp Shade: fine with leds that don’t make much heat.
    Bonding without lines: start with straight polished edges and solvent weld. People do this for aquariums.
    Bend back: it’s just a thing. Experiment to find out how much past 90 degrees you have to bend.

99% of acrylic work is experience: trial and error and try again. It's cheap enough that you can afford to experiment. A lot!
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Be aware that the cost of acrylic has gone up due to the massive numbers of sneeze guards that are being fabricated. My local supplier let me know about the cost increases and lower availability just a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Bending: depends on the type of bend. If you just want a right angle, look for a strip heater which is basically a straight heating element mounted in something heat proof. If you want to curve it, you need an oven.
    Lamp Shade: fine with leds that don’t make much heat.
    Bonding without lines: start with straight polished edges and solvent weld. People do this for aquariums.
    Bend back: it’s just a thing. Experiment to find out how much past 90 degrees you have to bend.
    Then I might have to get an oven, just have to find a big enough one, since the normal household ovens arent big enough to fit a a quarter sheet, nor a full sheet of acrylic

Any thoughts about the cut out and maintaining the pattern, without it being distorted?

Also another thing.

If I wanted to make a "mold", to curve the acrylic around, after its been heated. Which material, would then be the easiest to make it with?

Blog Entries
    remember that acrylic has a memory. Yo can form it and then heat it and it will flatten back out.

it’s been so long for me.. is a sheet 4x8? To heat 2x4’ you would need a metal box with heaters. For just a few parts, you could line up infra-red radiant heaters like they use in hog houses.

I don’t understand your question about cut out.

for just a few parts, you could sculpt plaster. For many parts maybe wood. Are you pressing the plastic over the form by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    remember that acrylic has a memory. Yo can form it and then heat it and it will flatten back out.

it’s been so long for me.. is a sheet 4x8? To heat 2x4’ you would need a metal box with heaters. For just a few parts, you could line up infra-red radiant heaters like they use in hog houses.

I don’t understand your question about cut out.

for just a few parts, you could sculpt plaster. For many parts maybe wood. Are you pressing the plastic over the form by hand?
    The sheets im able to get, is 2x4'.

Im guessing the way I explain it, it seems like i would need some of machine the press it over the form, but thats way out of my league. It could possible be done with a heatgun perhaps

I used to make visors for Honda Goldwings to shade the GPS screen.

I used 1/8" (3mm) thick acrylic. I made a wooden jig for the shape needed before I would bend it.

I rough cut the shape on a bandsaw with a metal work fine blade. I then routed my blanks to the final shape.

I used heat gun to warm the Acrylic before bending. I found it became pliable around 325F.

Once it cooled, it held it's shape.

Occasionally I thermally bend medium size long radius half inch thick solid surface material and once in a blue moon I bend small acrylic jobs. Solid surface material is heated with a heat press. Ninety degree bends in acrylic are a pretty simple process as described above using heat guns and benders. Large curved surfaces require an oven and a male/female mold. Norva Plastics has a commercial bending system large enough to make custom hot tubs and I have spent some time with the owner checking out his system. He owns a truck load of wooden forms and make new ones when the job requires something that is custom. Its a very expensive process.

Looks nice.

Seems like i need to aquire myself, a heatgun and start testing out