Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band-saw blade search

Band-saw blade search

I am looking for better quality band-saw blades. I have a Jet JWBS-18. Not into cutting veneer but need to re-saw on occasion, usually boards wider than 6". When I purchased the tool (used) it came with a few blades of unknown origin. They were 1/2" 3 tpi and re-sawed like a dream, 8/4 rift WO 8"
    w x 8' L boards so I know my saw can handle it. I am thinking of: Wood Slicer from Highland Woodworking.

Any recommendations please?
    I did not have much luck searching this site

Thanks, Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Woodslicers cut great for a very short period of time but dull quickly. I recommend you look at bi-metal blades in the 3/4" x 2 tpi size for resawing. They won't cut as smoothly as the Woodslicer but they will last 10X longer. Or step up to a carbide tipped blade of the same size. They will cut as smoothly as the Woodslicer, and last even longer than the bimetal. I really like the Lennox Woodmaster CT but there are plenty of fans of the Laguna Resaw King, too.

John

Monday, call John over at Woodcraft Bands. He will steer you right! In the meantime, visit his web site

Thanks for letting me know about Woodcraft Bands. It's about 20 minutes from me!

My bandsaw blade supplier is Timberwolf. They have different geometries for different applications (sheet, softwood, hardwood, green wood, brass), and a good selection of blade width and teeth per inch for each blade style. They make the blades to the needed length and ship promptly.

Don, I've also used the Timberwolf bands from Suffolk for a long, long time, but honestly, I'm considering changing as I've realized that I've historically gotten relatively poor lifespan from them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but trying something else will at least help me determine if I'm wrong or correct about said band life.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for Woodcraft Bands, great guy to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Don, I've also used the Timberwolf bands from Suffolk for a long, long time, but honestly, I'm considering changing as I've realized that I've historically gotten relatively poor lifespan from them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but trying something else will at least help me determine if I'm wrong or correct about said band life.
    Jim I have tried Timberwolf and my experience was they cut very well when new but seemed to dull very quickly. I still have one or two new ones at my shop that I have had for at least 10 years.

Lenox Diemaster II; twice the price, 5+ times the life of Timberwolf.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Which tooth pattern do you like with the bimetal blades?

Matt

11. I had some similar experience with the Timberwolf dulling but have been happy with the Resaw King so far.

I'm also a fan of the Resaw King. As others have mentioned, I also experienced the Timberwolf dulling sooner than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post

And Woodcraft Bands sells these.

Timber Wolf are good but dull relatively fast, I tried a Lenox Diemaster II and it broke at the weld in about the same amount of time it would take a Timber Wolf to get dull, so I was not impressed. Also it took a much thicker kerf, and since I am sometimes resawing high value woods like ebony and rosewood this mattered to me. I got a few blades from Highland Woodworking, they were not as sharp as Timber Wolf but stayed as sharp as they were for longer. I also have a JWBS-18, mine is an older one with the square column. I use 1/2" 3 TPI blades exclusively on it.

I am going to try the Starrett Woodpecker Pro Bi-Metal They are M42 steel and the limited number of reviews I found say the weld is perfect. They also come in the width and tooth configuration I want.

Steve
    Last edited by Stephen Bandirola; 06-18-2020 at 10:47 AM.