Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden hose repair connectors

Garden hose repair connectors

Are there repair connectors for garden hoses that are identical to the original factory installed connectors?

Repairs connectors that rely on band clamps (pipe clamps) make the connection awkward to handle due to the free end of the band clamp. Band clamps rust quickly.

Repair connectors that have bulky fittings (e.g.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yardsmith-Y...epair/50328335 ) make it harder to pull hoses when they run against obstacles.

Orbit makes some nice brass ones with a round nut that twists on to secure the hose to the fitting. I think I got them from amazon as they seem to be hard to find at typical stores.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I've used ones like these from Ace Hardware:
    Hose mender.jpgFemale threaded.jpgMale threaded.jpg

I believe they come in various diameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I've used ones like these from Ace Hardware:
    Hose mender.jpgFemale threaded.jpgMale threaded.jpg

I believe they come in various diameters.

When I use that kind, they leak.

They make all stainless hose clamps. Check ebay for USA made ones.
    Bill D

I expect I've used every type available, and don't like any of them. I do have some of the old 3/4" hoses, that I use with the pressure washer, kept alive with the kind that uses stainless hose clamps. Those are still kicking with a few years on them, although would be a pain if used regularly in a yard. I don't think I've ever used any kind of end that would last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    When I use that kind, they leak.
    If THOSE leak, it's probably because the hose end is enlarged from the original fitting...trim the end of the hose back about 3" so you'll have some virgin un-stretched rubber to grip the fitting
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well if you don't like the bulky Lowe's style, you don't like band clamps and you don't like the fittings from Ace, your pretty much SOL for diy repair. I work in the hose industry,my advice would be to call up a local hose shop (if you don't have one find out who services hydraulic hose in your area and ask them,if they can crimp a new end on with a brass ferrule. Cost shouldn't be too much. Other than that, ideal clamp make a 68 series worm drive clamp that is 200 grade SS or a 63 that is 300 grade. I agree clamps make a bulky connection. The other really low profile clamp I really like are Oetiker brand, stepless clamps. They have a very narrow band 3/16-1/4 or so, you can pinch them on with a pair of side cutters and 1 clamp if sized right will easily hold 400psi. The oetiker clamps have a very narrow clamping range, so you need to accurately measure the hose O. D before ordering.

It really helps to soak the hose end in hot water before you apply the clamp or pound down those fingers.

I just replaced four 50' garden hoses because I got fed up with trying to fix them. Garden hoses really aren't that expensive. If you don't like the repair options, might as well replace the hose.

Plus the hose itself does eventually go bad. I suspect that might be why many repairs fail; the hose might not be in good enough condition to seal properly to the new end.

"Keadic stainless pinch clamps" are what you need. Clamp well with no loose ends.

I still have some that had the star like clamp that you hammer in

It's only useful if it applies, but if you happen to do your own plumbing and have a pex crimping tool, the 3/4" copper pex crimps fit a good 5/8" garden hose outside diameter pretty closely. I use them with barbed fittings made for hose clamps - clean, no snag, no rust fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    It's only useful if it applies, but if you happen to do your own plumbing and have a pex crimping tool, the 3/4" copper pex crimps fit a good 5/8" garden hose outside diameter pretty closely. I use them with barbed fittings made for hose clamps - clean, no snag, no rust fit.

I like this idea!

Nelson USED TO make a hose end that had an expanding screw that went inside the hose. You slipped end over hose, and then screwed in expander. Looked just like factory ends. Note that I said USED TO. Once in a blue moon, I have found some in thrift stores. Probably some old phart like me died, and kids sold off his treasures, AKA junk.