Thread: Sliding barn door hardware

Sliding barn door hardware

What holds a door mounted onto "sliding barn door hardware"? Is it just gravity? Can a random passerby (sufficiently strong) just lift the door off of the track?

For example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Clihome-96-...ors/1002591470

Another source would be Lee Valley. It will be dependent upon the kit you choose. Perhaps you would need to add a shoe or attachment accessible only from inside with the door closed that secures it from being lifted.

Stephen,

Yes the rollers (attached to the door) just rest on the rails, and the weight of the door keeps it on there. You can just lift the door off if you need to.

Some rolling door hardware is more difficult to disassemble. For instance, Johnson Hardware makes a kit which you can't just lift up to take apart. https://johnsonhardware.com/wall-mou...-door-hardware

And there's real barn door hardware, sometimes called box rail, which requires a wrench to take apart. There's many sources for it. Here's one -- https://www.natman.com/category/trac...-sliding-doors
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-12-2020 at 12:30 PM.

How the specific hardware is designed will give your answer. If the rollers/wheels are captive to prevent or at least require lifting in a very specific way, things should stay on track. If there's nothing to impede lifting the rollers/wheels off the track, then it can come off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    How the specific hardware is designed will give your answer. If the rollers/wheels are captive to prevent or at least require lifting in a very specific way, things should stay on track. If there's nothing to impede lifting the rollers/wheels off the track, then it can come off.
    Yeah, I just installed one in my cottage this week. There is a piece on mine that runs right below the bar so that the wheels cannot come up off the bar except for a 1/4" or so and then you have to lift it off in a deliberate way to remove the door. With the weight of the door and the fact that it is not made to come off easily I think it is not coming off by accident. Not sure if they are all made that way.

All of the kits I've used, I think I've tried most of the brands, provide a spacer that goes under the bar that restricts upward lifting potential to less than it takes to actually remove the door. I have had to make my own a couple times as the universal spacer isn't universal. Block of wood works fine.