Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bandsaw Help

First Bandsaw Help

Hey guys,

Technically new here, long time browser, first time poster.

I am finally in a house with ample space to setup a nice shop and have pretty much everything powertool wise MINUS a BS. Which is why I am here to pick yalls brains and get any input I can.

I am looking to buy my first real bandsaw (bigger than 10”) and am fully aware I may upgrade or add a second to the repertoire later, but keeping that in mind I am buying right now with a one saw mentality. I will be doing some resaw, some contour/intricate cutting, etc. I want something that will do pretty well at everything since I don’t and may never have a purely dedicated purpose for it. If and when that time comes though I will adjust accordingly.

So, with that being said, I have been doing a lot of second hand window shopping. I have seen a lot of stuff come and go but here in the past week I have a plethora of options and has me a bit on overload and trying to weed through them has been slightly stressful. So without further adieu, here is what I am looking at.

Second hand options:

1) Grizzly G0555x, 1.5HP with riser block and mobile base. Hardly used, looks like it has hardly even been touched.
    -Listed at 800 but would realistically want it in the 600-700 range but wouldn’t be necessarily opposed at 800

2) Laguna LT16 3000, 3HP with mobility kit and a plethora of blades. This is the china built model. Definitely used but very, very well kept, most of the wear is typical tabletop wear but no rust or major damage in sight.
    -Listed at 1,200, but would push for 1,000 ... MAYBE lower but feel its not likely to make it past 1000

3) Rikon 10-326, 1.75HP brand new in box but buying it second hand.
    -Listed at 1,100, but would push for 900-1000, since I can get the 10-324 (essentially same saw but open stand and 1.5HP) to my door for 900 currently

4) Rikon 10-353, 3HP brand new in box but buying second hand.
    -Listed at 1,600 FIRM, with me being the type of person I am I would still try and knock it back 100 but for all intensive purposes lets just say 1,600.

5)Grizzly g0514xf, 19" 3HP this one just appeared in my searches like as I was in the midst of writing this actually, so don't know much seems to be in good condition, maybe missing the fence but waiting for a response about it
    -Listed at 600, so if this guy checks out then this alone may change the trajectory of my choice all together haha

Anyways, these are the current “USED” options I am looking at. And out of the bunch I originally was most excited about the Laguna LT16 but the more I read and see and research and the more I look at it…. I am super iffy on if I am going to have regret/buyers remorse later on due to build quality, table size, etc. (Although now the g0514xf has my attention.) The grizzly is the option my wallet likes the best (Again pending the g0514xf update lol) but the g0555x is also the saw with the least rigid wheels and build design as it is a C style body and the lowest in power. Between the Rikons, both are worth their price point and the difference but 1,600 is stretching a bit more than I originally wanted to but its not completely unmanageable if its really worth the extra 500-600 hundred over the other Rikon and Laguna.
    But also during all of this I keep looking at new saws too. Specifically the Laguna 1412 and 14BX (2.5HP, 220v) which I can have to my door currently for 1200 and 1500 respectively. As well as a few grizzlys but once I add freight and taxes in the grizzly options I begin treading back into this rikon/laguna pricing territory and am leaning more that route with that being the case.

Also, out of curiosity the Rikon 10-353 is normally 2-2200, and I feel like maybe I am missing something but except for 2 inches of resaw and 0.5 horsepower what is the reasoning for the 600 dollar difference between the 10-353 and the 14BX 220v for example …. ? Like I was saying though, maybe I am missing something…

Anyways all that being said, which do you guys think is the best route for a one saw system, and any others I may be missing that you would suggest? IF you made it this far I very much appreciate it and look forward to any and all input to come. Thanks in advance!

Have the grizzly 513x2. Which I am very happy with. With shipping and tax it should be under $1500.00. Money well spent.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I bought a G0513ANV from grizzly and am really pleased with it. I have resawed some 11 inch black walnut and it cut like butter. Milled some big hackberry logs into turning blank. Resawed a lot of hard maple, 6 inch was the biggest I had. Right now that saw is on sale for $975

The Laguna sounds good to me. I almost bought that saw but opted for the 18BX instead.

Blog Entries
    Having run a couple of G0513's or a number of years I really feel I got the best bang for the buck back when they were purchased. This would make me lean toward the G0514 at that almost-too-good price; I would check it, or the story of why, very carefully. Middle tier bandsaws are not the mystery folks seem to make of them. As long as the saw is well made and in proper working order, a proper setup and alignment will lead to a happy owner. Upper end saws, like most upper end things, are very nice and operate with expectations on a different plane with a price to match. Lower end saws get "if-y" with unreliable consistency of product; not to say that even the big boys don't have QA problems now and again.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I guess the first thing is; out of all the saws, the g0555x at 600-700 (all other options considered) is definitely a no, right? At this point I think I am gonna narrow down the list by no's first. Haha. Hearing a lot of thumbs up for the grizzly so I feel if the 514 condition and story checks out I would be a moron to get the 555x at the same price... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Orrion Kuykendall View Post
    ...Hearing a lot of thumbs up for the grizzly... Lol
    Lots of people are satisfied with the poor quality Harbor Freight tools too. If you decide to buy third rate machinery, at least look for heavily discounted prices, so you can afford to upgrade to quality later.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Lots of people are satisfied with the poor quality Harbor Freight tools too. If you decide to buy third rate machinery, at least look for heavily discounted prices, so you can afford to upgrade to quality later.
    LOL Ouch. I will say, I have a 8 inch grizzly jointer and from my experience with it I have absolutely no complaints about finish or performance of the machine.

I'm a hobbyist and I have the 14" G555LX and I'm very happy with it. Once set up correctly, it tracks very true. I added the H7587 resaw fence, a Bear Crawl mobile base, but I haven't bought the riser kit since I haven't found the need to resaw 8"-12" boards yet. Additionally, I followed the recommendations made by Alex Snodgrass for setting it up (search YouTube) which I found to be very helpful.

Location? I would wait 6 months to a year and see what shows up. Those all sound high priced to me. But I live in the USA. Your options may be more limited. I would look at a delta or powermatic 20" BS for around 1,000$. Grob, Doall, would be similar price, or cheaper, and higher quality.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Location? I would wait 6 months to a year and see what shows up. Those all sound high priced to me. But I live in the USA. Your options may be more limited. I would look at a delta or powermatic 20" BS for around 1,000$. Grob, Doall, would be similar price, or cheaper, and higher quality.
    Bill D
    I am in the US, Georgia specifically. When is the last time you've done any looking though? I have been watching the market since about January and that seems to be about what the market is. I have heard some of it is due to the China tariffs, some people think its just the economy in general. But not just BS but everything tool related in the entire Southeast seems to be higher price and holding resell value. Seeing decently used stuff move at just 100 or 200 under retail within days. Dunno, think we just may be in a bad time all around for being on the buying side at least, but I need a bandsaw my patience is running thin haha.

I'd take a hard look at the 19" Grizzly. I had the 17" model for years and it was fine; the only reason I sold it was I upgrded to a Minimax 20" The 555 is overpriced and only an OK, not great, saw. Don't know anything about the others.

Rikon 10-326 is a good one. Get on that grizzly for 600,at least check it out .

The 19”Grizzly & if it doesn't work out, keep an eye on CL for a few months and get a 16” to 20” saw, so that you don't have to buy twice. An 18” Laguna BX was $1800 new on sale a couple weeks ago, so something similar would last you for years. I use a 14” for tight curves & a 21” for lumber processing or a large throat cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    The 19”Grizzly & if it doesn't work out, keep an eye on CL for a few months and get a 16” to 20” saw, so that you don't have to buy twice. An 18” Laguna BX was $1800 new on sale a couple weeks ago, so something similar would last you for years. I use a 14” for tight curves & a 21” for lumber processing or a large throat cut.
    Thoughts on that Laguna lt16?