Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Bandsaw Help

Also is it just not possible to run as tight of curves on these biggers saws or just not as clean of a finish or what's the reason everyone goes to a smaller saw for the curves? Im missing the catch obviously haha. Blade width?

Quote Originally Posted by Orrion Kuykendall View Post
    Also is it just not possible to run as tight of curves on these biggers saws or just not as clean of a finish or what's the reason everyone goes to a smaller saw for the curves? Im missing the catch obviously haha. Blade width?
    You "can" use narrower bands on most of the larger saws, but it's not as convenient. Many of them run flat tires, instead of crowned, so with a wider band, the teeth hang slightly off the edge, but the flat tire has full contact with the rest of the band. With a narrow blade you can't track that way so you have to do a different setup in addition to the obvious readjustment of guides, etc. Crowned tires are a little better for more universal blade width situations. Many folks prefer to have a big saw for big tasks and keep a small one for scrolling simply because it avoids all the setup stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You "can" use narrower bands on most of the larger saws, but it's not as convenient. Many of them run flat tires, instead of crowned, so with a wider band, the teeth hang slightly off the edge, but the flat tire has full contact with the rest of the band. With a narrow blade you can't track that way so you have to do a different setup in addition to the obvious readjustment of guides, etc. Crowned tires are a little better for more universal blade width situations. Many folks prefer to have a big saw for big tasks and keep a small one for scrolling simply because it avoids all the setup stuff.
    Ahhhh okay I figured it had to do with blade width but didnt know why. The wheels make complete sense.

So that bringsbro two questions.

1. Whats the benefit of a smaller BS vs say a scroll saw? Or vice versa.

2. And are any of the bigger models equipped with crowned wheels or what size is that breaking point? Is 14 the largest you'll find crowns on?

Used tool pricing is very local.

For my area, the g0514 is the only one listed at a very attractive price that would have multiple people chasing it. I like the large, high table on this saw for use as a general-purpose bandsaw.

I believe the new pricing for LT16-3000 was comparable to the 19" grizzly.
    This isn't a resaw monster, but you might want to check it out and see how it works.

I'd probably choose these over 14" saws at similar pricing:
    The Rikon 10-326 is cheaper, new, at woodcraft.
    The G0555x and Rikon 10-353 seem pretty high - essentially at retail prices.

A vintage delta or jet 14" could be attractive, but should be in the $400-600 range, depending on condition and base.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Used tool pricing is very local.

For my area, the g0514 is the only one listed at a very attractive price that would have multiple people chasing it. I like the large, high table on this saw for use as a general-purpose bandsaw.

I believe the new pricing for LT16-3000 was comparable to the 19" grizzly.
    This isn't a resaw monster, but you might want to check it out and see how it works.

I'd probably choose these over 14" saws at similar pricing:
    The Rikon 10-326 is cheaper, new, at woodcraft.
    The G0555x and Rikon 10-353 seem pretty high - essentially at retail prices.

A vintage delta or jet 14" could be attractive, but should be in the $400-600 range, depending on condition and base.

Matt
    Which are you saying isnt a resaw monster? The grizzly or the Laguna? Or both?

Also guys keep in mind the "used" rikons are both new for all intensive purposes. Never been used. Never even been assembled lol.

And I'm seeing the 353 at around 2k it's actually on sale at woodcraft for 1800 currently but still 200 over what this person is asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrion Kuykendall View Post

1. Whats the benefit of a smaller BS vs say a scroll saw? Or vice versa.?
    While there may be some overlap in use, these are different tools. The latter is better suited to really small detail work in thinner stock while the bandsaw is better for cutting straight and curvy lines in more substantial material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got two of the Grizzly 17", and one 14" band saw. I think they are great - I couldn't ask for more!

David

Okay so never ended up hearing back about the grizzly but the post disappeared, so not sure where they went but pretty bummed about it.

But all that being said I got the 10-353 down a few hundred to where I'm pretty much at the price of the 14BX on sale.

These are the two titans I'm looking at right now. I dont think the couple inches of throat not going with something bigger than 14 will bother me long term with what I'm doing and the few times it could be helpful I'll just work around it.

So heres the question, rikon 10-353 or laguna 14bx, at the same price...

The rikon gives me the ability to go up to 1" blade (3/4 for laguna), extra .5 hp and an extra 2 inches of resaw, with everything else being essentially the same (except we could start talking about guides). So would yall take the laguna purely because its laguna or get the rikon with a few extra benefits? Decisions.