Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein turbo noise level

Blog Entries

Fein turbo noise level

Is a fein turbo vacuum significantly quieter than say, my 6 gallon craftsman shop vac from sears? I realize there may be other benefits to it, but thinking mostly only about noise level. It’ll be used with a dust deputy.

I have a dust collector for table saw etc.. but I use the shop vac with cyclone for certain things like sander and bandsaw etc. actually I do t even end up using the shop vac for the ROS sander because it’s just loud and annoying.

is it $300 quieter? And no, I will not buy a festool for $600 or whatever it cost. That’s too much and I’ll just deal with it.

Worth it is a subjective question, it was worth it to me. I dumped my old Craftsman shop vac over a decade ago for a Fein T3 and have had no regrets. The Fein does not have as much suction power as the Craftsman but has more than enough for everyday chores. It is much easier on my hearing.

BTW, my sister lives not far from you in Volcano.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I guess I am not asking if it’s worth it, but rather is it really quieter as claimed. That’s my main thought, noise. Or if there are other suggestions of actually quiet vacs in the same price range - below $300. Thanks.

And Bruce, volcano is a nice place. A lot of woodworkers there.

I have a Turbo II and it's VERY quiet. I don't know how loud your Craftsman is but I can have mine running and have a conversation in the same room. I wouldn't want to sleep next to it but it's not bad at all.

Is a fein turbo vacuum significantly quieter than say, my 6 gallon craftsman shop vac from sears?
    Absolutely. Without a doubt. At <$300 it's a pretty good deal.

...but so is this for 35% less.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-...97-0/300262391

you'd need another hose or adapter to hook up to tools like a sander, router, ect...though.

I have a Fein Turbo II and compared to what I had before - early mid '90s Shop Vac - it's a lot quieter. I think most vacs today are quieter than they were 20 years ago. One big difference in the Fein is the pitch of the noise, there's no high pitched scream.

I have a Ridgid 6 gallon that works great but requires hearing protection, IMO. You'd have to yell to have a conversation next to it while it's running. My Fein Turbo II is WAY quieter. You can have a more or less normal-volume conversation next to it.

I like my Craftsman shop vacs - all 6 of them. But I do generally wear ear plugs when using.
    David

Except for drills and dust collectors with ac motors I can not think of any power tool in the workshop that is safe to use with out ear protection. Maybe a big belt or disk sander. Even a hand drill used near the head is too loud not to cause damage. Any universal motor needs ear protection for sure.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    Thank you. I guess I am not asking if it’s worth it, but rather is it really quieter as claimed. That’s my main thought, noise. Or if there are other suggestions of actually quiet vacs in the same price range - below $300. Thanks.

And Bruce, volcano is a nice place. A lot of woodworkers there.
    The T3 I have is much quieter than the old Craftsman. The Craftsman sounded like a F16 at takeoff. Standing 6’ away the T3 measures 69db using my dbPro phone app. 72-73db a foot away.

We visited her several years ago and I worked on Kauai off & on for several years. The greenery is always a shock for this desert dweller. We were planning another visit in May, but, you know... Maybe next year.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm on my 2nd Fein Turbo II, first one lasted 13 years with a lot of use. Liked it so much, bought another about 6 years ago. Great vacuums in my opinion, and relatively quiet. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input.

anyone have input on that karcher one? Noise-wise? Didn’t even know it existed, looks a lot better than a regular vac.
    B84F9A87-BD06-449E-8C57-F723D74F0046.jpg

I have both the Fein and the Kracher unit. They are both quiet compared to some of the screaming meanies out there. I find no need to wear hearing protection with either. Beware of the Kracher unit that has a tool trigger, not enough amperage. The Fein is an excellent unit my two have lasted for years.
    the Kracher I use in the garage for general cleanup with generic felt bags or without bags. But for my 5 cents I’d stick with the Fein.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your input. I just want a quiet one for my bandsaw. Thanks

Beware of the Kracher unit that has a tool trigger, not enough amperage.

Could you elaborate with specifics ? Looks to me like the Karcher linked has a connected tool load rating of 6A - same as the Fein Turbo.