Thread: Warranty on Chucks

Warranty on Chucks

Looked at different brands of Lathe Chucks. Some are 1 Year, Others are 2, 3 and 6 year Warranties . What is the estimated life span of a Wood Lathe Chuck?

If used properly and maintained properly, at least one lifetime I would think as long as it is a quality product to begin with.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I've never actually seen a Oneway of Vicmarc chuck break or wear out, I've used other imports that didn't work out of the box. I think that the "cheaper" (price not being the only determinant of that) the chuck the longer the warranty I'd look for.

I have a Nova G3 and can not imagine it wearing out.

Lifespan depends on production numbers. If you use a cheap import chuck and turn 6-8 bowls a day, maybe a year and it might get sloppy in the scroll gear. If you buy a major brand, and turn 12 bowls a year, 2 lifetimes. Just a guess. My first Oneway Stronghold is something like 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Looked at different brands of Lathe Chucks. Some are 1 Year, Others are 2, 3 and 6 year Warranties . What is the estimated life span of a Wood Lathe Chuck?
    I have lots of Nova/Teknatool chucks, most new, some used. The only time I saw a problem was when the incredible hulk tightened chucks with a cheater bar. I bought two chucks from him and on both the metal of the body was warped enough to jam the slides. It took me most of a day to repair the pair. (hey, that rhymes)

With normal use I can't imagine wearing one out.

JKJ

I have several Oneway Talons that I have been using for over 17 years. Other than some staining, they work as good as new. I do take them apart for some cleaning.
    Joe

I have several chucks but I use two Oneway Stonghold for most of my turning. I have had one since 1997 and it works today as it did when I bought it. I have never taken it apart just blow dust out of it occasionally . I just don't see any wear at all.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Some of mine are 20 years old, but I don't do production work any more... I did break a few teeth off of one of the pinion gears on one of my Vicmark chucks. Got a replacement gear, and broke a tooth off on it as well. Sent the chuck back, Craft Supplies, I think, and they sent me another one. No problems since then, and no clue as to why that happened with that one chuck.

robo hippy