Thread: Ridgid R4512(R4520) vs Grizzly G0771Z & Shop Fox W1837

Ridgid R4512(R4520) vs Grizzly G0771Z & Shop Fox W1837

It's been some time since I've posted here. I previously had the Ridgid R4512 and I liked it but due to being forced to move I never really got to use it more than an hour or two. That was about 4 years ago, and I haven't had a workshop since. But now that I am in a permanent location I'm looking to get the table saw I plan to have for many many years, and these are the models I'm considering. The Ridgid model has been slightly updated but looks more or less the same, but the price has gone up. I got my old one for $599, now it's $749 bringing it closer to some perhaps better known table saw brands. I've been eyeing the Grizzly model for a while, but up until last week I didn't know Grizzly and Shop Fox were the same company. I know Shop Fox has a better warranty, but I'm looking for the best product for my money. One thing I loved about the Ridgid was how easy it was to move around my work area. The Grizzly doesn't seem to have wheels, however the Shop Fox does. Side by side the pictures look like the exact same product from Shop Fox/Grizzly, but Grizzly seems to offer a complete cast iron top. So I would really appreciate any thoughts and feedback anyone has on these saws, or if you have another I should consider that would be great too. My workshop is only a 12x12 shed.

Attached Images Attached Images

I realize you said mobility is a factor but that Grizzly would be my choice. Easy enough to make or buy a mobility kit for it. I base this on reading the specs only as I have never used any of the three saws.

I've had the Craftsman version of that Ridgid saw for several years, and while it's served me well (that model was plagued by blade angle error when elevated--mine's good)--i've seen the Grizzly in a few shops and it's a much better saw. Didn't care for the c-man fence, but some like it all right. Replaced that with an Incra. Can't speak the the Grizzly fence in operation. The cast iron wings would be great to have, i really dislike the stamped steel. After 7 or 8 years, the paint still transfers to stock a bit (same with the paint on the factory throat plates). The Craftsman/Ridgid throat plates have a very small lip, and thin at the lip, so it's pretty exacting to make inserts--about too thin to use wood so i used a phenolic sheet. Again, i don't know how the Grizzly compares in that area.
    Other than those few issues on mine, it's behaved well. I'd value the cast iron at a $200 difference--which evens the price a bit, so the comparison could go back to the other features. Good luck!!
    earl

I'm a hobbyist and I have the Grizzly G0833P, which is now the G0899 (they changed factories in China), it sits on a Grizzly Bear Crawl heavy duty mobile base, but it's mostly stationary. It has plenty of power and I believe better features than the G0771Z. I would recommend that you look at it on the Grizzly site. The Shop Fox is almost identical to the Grizzly if you look closely at the hand wheels, switch, blade guard, and fence. The only thing I didn't/don't like about the G0833/G0899 is the fence. I put on Uni-T Fence from Peachtree to improve it. The important thing is that the trunnions on the Grizzly & Shop Fox are cabinet mounted while on the Ridgid they are table mounted. Aligning the blade to the miter slots on a saw with table mounted trunnions is no fun. I had the R4512 and got rid of it because of that. I would go with the Grizzly over the Shop Fox or Ridgid.

I recently bought the G0771Z TS and am very pleased with it. While it is not the biggest saw you can buy, for the price and for a non production workshop it handles all of my needs. I have cut 3 inch black walnut with no effort and 2 to 2.5 inch oak as well. The fit and finish on mine was very nice, I have no complaints at all