Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making wooden hand planes

Blog Entries
    Here is an old post of mine on molding planes > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242156

It is mostly about rehabilitation of previously owned molding planes. It does have a post about wedges and what to do about something like this:

Wedge Issue Close Up.jpg

There is also some information on blade sharpening along with useful links provided by others.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. Just read through the thread. Gives me a good place to start when I finally get my hands on some to get measurements off of. Got a secondhand dealer sending me some not so pretty ones cheap.

I'm looking at tools I might need and I talked to Bill Carter at

http://www.billcarterwoodworkingplanemaker.co.uk/

And he advised me to check him video page on the Blunt chisel technique. He said he doesn't use floats.

I figured I would try it but I'm assuming out of all the floats that there must be one or two that might be highly recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    I figured I would try it but I'm assuming out of all the floats that there must be one or two that might be highly recommended?
    If you're going to make multiple planes, the Lie Nielsen products are solid. They have broad handles for easier manipulation, for longer periods.

If you're only making one or two, the Iwasaki "wood carving" file comes in three sizes, but the handle is very narrow (which I find tiring) - but they cut like stink.

http://www.iwasaki-y.com/english/carve.html

I'm pretty excited. I got my edge float and side float in the mail today and a couple days ago I got a flat rate box full of rabbet and dado planes. Last year I took a roy underhill class, while there I met Ed upstairs. I called him asking if he had any cracked up planes I could copy/cannibalize. He stuffed a box full with extra irons too. 2 of the rabbet planes are just fine too. No cracks or warped sides. Couple of the dado planes are great too, unfortunately missing irons. Rest are unusable but have irons or depth stops I can take. I also watched that dvd and read "making traditional wooden planes" from a member here.
    Attached Images Attached Images