Thread: What to use under an armoire

What to use under an armoire

I am at the final stages of building a Craftsman style armoire from quarter sawn white oak. It is solid wood and has no plywood. It is quite large and VERY heavy. It will go in my bedroom which has an area rug over bare oak flooring. My concern is the tremendous weight of the piece (200lb +). What should I attach to the bottom of the piece so that it is not just the wood resting directly on the floor. I have slightly chamfered the bottom to avoid splintering, but with rear on bare wood and thr front ona rug, I fear attempts to move the piece will result in splintering.

What is available for the bottom? (not wheels).

The orange Borg and probably many other outlets have varying sized pads that fit under furniture legs and take the pressure leaving a padded side to the hardwood floor. I've used things like this https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ric...ck-/1001091616 with success on my fir floors
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I like felt or tool leather pads.

I was thinking of something permanent that attaches to the piece, if such a thing exists

Is this what you have in mind? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd...9976/100389357 You can buy them in various sizes and thicknesses.

I have used these before. Worked for the table I made.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I have used these before. Worked for the table I made.
    Thanks, Bill! That is pretty much what I had in mind. I ordered a pack of them.

I saved some leather belts just for the purpose of gluing squares of them to the bottom of furniture pieces. I also saved an old worn leather briefcase for the same purpose. Saved them from the trash bin and got some material to use that is kind to wood floors. Contact adhesive or construction adhesive for attachment.

I got a large 3'x3' sheet of leather from a local shoe repair shop (remember those?) from which they cut leather shoe soles. It was more reasonable than I found anywhere else. They can probably provide pieces of any size.