Thread: Seeking Info on Bench Top CNC Machine

Seeking Info on Bench Top CNC Machine

Hi, Everyone. I've begun exploring relatively low-cost benchtop CNC machines. Can I post a CNC question here, on the main board, or should I take it to the CNC sub-forum?

I'm new, so want to make sure to follow SC protocol and etiquette.

Please advise & Thank You,

SH

What is your question? I think you either post it here or under the CNC heading here: https://sawmillcreek.org/forumdispla...8-CNC-Machines
    David

Steven, the CNC Forum is the appropriate place for your question.

Thanks for the clarification Keith!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Steven, the CNC Forum is the appropriate place for your question.
    Keith, thanks. Could you delete this thread and I will repost in the CNC sub-forum?

Thanks Very Much,
    Steven

There is posted here a lot of info on the low cost machines do a little searching. If that does not answer your question then ask. This is not a DIY build forum but I am just finishing up a Workbee build to replace my large, heavy steel framed one I just sold.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for sharing.
    David

The range of "benchtop" CNCs is pretty broad. What your budget is will be helpful for folks to point you at your best choices. A lot of hobbyists are very happy with Shapeoko...for a couple grand investment, you have a capable machine that has a few enhancements available and can also work with most capable design software when you are ready. Slightly beefier options come from companies like AVID, but still have the kit form savings. At the higher end, fully welded "industrial quality" machines are available from companies like Camaster (US-made including most components), although now you're in the $5-8K investment range.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really like my Shapeoko XXL. It’s a very capable machine. The large footprint was my biggest worry, but I built an outfeed table off my table saw that keeps it underneath. It’s a modified version of Fine Woodworking outfeed table build. The assembly top flips up via a piano hinge. Works great! Plus I have a decent sized assembly table to boot.

92280D2A-D02A-4B8A-AB6B-7A9817D56FEF.jpg
    F33B5936-0CBA-446D-8E35-5E66822ECDE2.jpg

If you are going to consider the Shapeoko, then also look at the Millright Mega V. The same price point as the Shapeoko but a far more rigid machine, with no belts to adjust.