Thread: Speedtape vs Spray Adhesive.

Speedtape vs Spray Adhesive.

Some jobs call for quick and easy edgebanding onsite. Who has done both and what were the pros and cons of each? I've got my own thoughts, but still can't figure out which one is less bad.

I have not used either specifically, but...

I have used the FastCap adhesive backed. This has held well for me even after a few years. I do not know how thick the SpeedTape can handle, but, when they provide the full set, it is rather thin. On a desk where a chair keeps bumping it, it has not held as well as using a thicker strip of wood (like 1/4") that can deform a bit without getting down to the plywood.

With the adhesive backed, so probably the same as the tape, my biggest concern is that it is very grabby so you need to have it closely lined up and straight before it goes down. If you use stuff that requires an iron, you do not have that particular problem.

With adhesive backed, I then trim it and the adhesive can gum things up a bit when I do that, so, that is always a process.

if you use a thicker edge banding like you made yourself, which I prefer, then there is the question of how you trim it to size. Hand plane, router, etc. I usually use a router with some special attachments. I have always just used Tight Bond III and then I hold it in place with tape or clamps depending on the piece.

What kind of spray adhesive were you thinking? It needs to be strong. You could spread something like BSI (Bob Smith Industries) Maxi-Cure and maybe spray your edge banding with Insta-Set, that stuff is rock solid when it sets. I have never used it for this application, but now that I am thinking about it. It does assume that you can get that banding in place pretty fast, it cures in 10 to 25 seconds. I usually see it used to handle joints with molding. Great stuff. You would need to experiment to see if you can get away with just adding the insta-set to one side, I just don't remember but for this application you would need to.

Now I can see what those with more experience than I do. :-)

Blog Entries
    Spray adhesive is useful stuff, but it's just so damned messy. It seems like the overspray spreads & travels forever. I know what I'd use.

i have always had great luck with iron on myself. just use a sharp chisel to trim.

I have used Helmetin spray contact adhesive for edge tape. We just hold a small piece of cardboard up for over spray. There are several different numbers (Types) Helmetin uses numbers for names on all their adhesive products.I can not remember the one I use just now.Works excellent.

Spray adhesive on a job site is a great way to get a call back for cleaning up some over spray that landed somewhere it shouldn't! Either that or you get to run outside for all the spraying.

3M Hibond 90, sticks to absolutely anything. A piece of cardboard or laminate makes an excellent spray shield. Fastcap tape is fine but comparatively expensive and not typically available without ordering online.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    3M Hibond 90, sticks to absolutely anything. A piece of cardboard or laminate makes an excellent spray shield. Fastcap tape is fine but comparatively expensive and not typically available without ordering online.

Especially sticks to the hair on my arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Spray adhesive on a job site is a great way to get a call back for cleaning up some over spray that landed somewhere it shouldn't! Either that or you get to run outside for all the spraying.
    I thank my mentors that this has never been something I would have to deal with.