Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An embarrassing disaster?

So when I goof up terribly, I pull out the heat gun and loosen it up. As long as you don’t burn the wood, it is fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R Katz View Post
    What a great idea! I used TB, I'm not sure which one but it was definitely interior use only. I used the same glue on a garden gate that came apart during the winter. and I had to re-glue it with exterior glue a few months ago. I think I'll try wetting and heating the joints that have to flex for me to fix this. Thank you for responding!
    TB-I (original) can be disassembled with great care as it's not waterproof. Google "how to dissolve titebond glue" for some techniques.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Personally I've never had much luck heating glue but I may be too impatient.

My thinking would be saw the joint apart and redo the M/T with a double mortise/floating tenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    So when I goof up terribly, I pull out the heat gun and loosen it up. As long as you don’t burn the wood, it is fairly easy.
    That is what I would try if it is original titebond 1. Keeping it a little wet with a spray bottle while heating may help avoid scorching the wood and help loosen the glue.

I am far from an expert, but I'd try taking apart only enough to cut down the longer stretchers. I probably remove them entirely to cut them down. If you find the joints come apart easily and you think it will aid in getting everything properly square and aligned you could completely take it apart.

Thanks for the idea!

Dissolving the glue somehow is the best bet. Easy to do with a heat gun if hide glue is used. I once did something like this with a floor-standing cabinet...which I had put together with epoxy. I cut out the stretcher with an oscillating tool, re-made it to the correct length, and used pocket screws to re-install into the piece (rather than the original mortise and tenon).

All Titebond glues are thermoplastic and have poor strength at 150F or higher. If you can heat the joints and apply reverse clamping force, they will come apart.

John