Thread: Onieda Super Dust Gorilla 2hp. Enough?

Onieda Super Dust Gorilla 2hp. Enough?

Hey guys,

A used Super dust gorilla 2hp has come up for sale. gently used. I currently have a grizzly double canister dust collector that is 3HP. Im wondering if switching to the cyclone style collector will be a good upgrade, especially since I will be losing a horse. Does that even matter? Will this collector be enough? I have the normal obsessed hobbyist tools, 15" planer, cabinet saw, jointer, bandsaw. 20x20 garage.

thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    The cyclone gives better separation & thus far fewer filter cleanings, but it also adds pressure loss. That, along with 1 HP less means airflow is going to be reduced a fair bit. I believe the Onieda blower will cope with added resistance than the Grizzly, but you still need the HP to drive it.

The Grizzly 3hp might have out-drawn the 2hp Oneida DG when its filters were freshly cleaned, but not with much use afterward.

The Oneida will more than easily handle one machine at a time in your shop.

I have a 1.5 HP Oneida Mini Gorilla (the newer, molded version) and am very happy with it, with similar tools. It more than meets the dust collection specs for my incoming A3-41 16" j/p. The OMG rolls around and hooks up to everything with a 10' length of 5" flex, since all my machines except the wood lathe must be rolled to one side of my 20x22 shop to make room for the SUV overnight.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

You would be better off buying the Grizzly cyclone that retails for $299 and add that to your existing system. Or you could use a Super Dust Deputy XL added to your existing system

I had that Dust Gorilla unit (2HP) in my garage shop (similar tools to yours) for years and it worked flawlessly.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Just use the grizzly blower on the cyclone and sell the 2HP blower with the grizzly ductwork. You will have to transfer over the 3hp filters. Some installations mount the blower totally separate from the cyclone with several feet of ducting between. I have even seen pictures of the blower on the ground ducted straight up to the top of the cyclone.
    Bil lD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-11-2020 at 8:51 AM.

thanks for the recommendation. My issue is space adding a cyclone to the already big 2 canister grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Just use the grizzly blower on the cyclone and sell the 2HP blower with the grizzly ductwork. You will have to transfer over the 3hp filters. Some installations mount the blower totally separate from the cyclone with several feet of ducting between. I have even seen pictures of the blower on the ground ducted straight up to the top of the cyclone.
    Bil lD
    Or buy just a cyclone body from Oneida or somebody else and re-use the 3 h.p. blower and filters. I see many questions about whether someone has enough ceiling height for a cyclone. Is there a good reason to not mount the blower beside the cyclone and run a large rectangular duct from the top of the cyclone to the blower inlet? Too much flow resistance/restriction? Mounting the blower/motor on top of the cyclone is a straight shot from the center tube into the blower but the height penalty.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-12-2020 at 8:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Even a 2HP bagger is going to out perform a 2HP cyclone. The separator puts a huge hit on airflow but, cyclone systems are designed with that in mind. The cyclone gives you cleaner return air and/or better separation of spoil. The one stage and two stage collectors target different needs. Comparing performance based on HP will give you a false comparison. My 2HP cyclone does well in my 20 x 30 shop but, I have always wished I would have made room to shoehorn in a larger unit. Cyclone nirvana may start at the 5HP level but, there is a lot of room for happiness between the 2HP and 5HP machines ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bil lD
    Hi Michael,
    if you decide to go this route, I would be interested in the Oneida blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Boyet View Post
    Hey guys,

A used Super dust gorilla 2hp has come up for sale. gently used. I currently have a grizzly double canister dust collector that is 3HP. Im wondering if switching to the cyclone style collector will be a good upgrade, especially since I will be losing a horse. Does that even matter? Will this collector be enough? I have the normal obsessed hobbyist tools, 15" planer, cabinet saw, jointer, bandsaw. 20x20 garage.

thanks for the help
    Motor power is almost useless when evaluating extractor performance.

Compare the static pressure curves on the 2 systems.

I expect you’ll be pleased with the Oneida....Rod

Blog Entries
    I have the 2 hp Oneida SDG, it works fine for me. I'm happy.
    NOW you tell me...

I agree that the curves are the real way to tell performance. I disagree that a 2hp cyclone will be outperformed by a 2hp bagger. If that is ever true, it would obviously only be true when the bags were clean. The point of the cyclone separation is to keep the filter clean which improves airflow a lot. In real usage, I suspect a 2hp cyclone would out perform a 2hp bagger most of the time. At least for me, I hate cleaning filters.

I have the "2hp" HF pulling through a super dust deputy and discharging outside. It easily handles one machine at a time through maybe 20 feet of 5 inch snap lock duct in my shop. If I forget to close a dust gate and do two at once there is still useful dust collection. I took the motor and blower off the HF unit and mounted it to the wall of my small shop in the corner. The super dust deputy hangs by it and the duct and is supported by the home made dust box that is 18 inches square and over 70 gallon capacity. So it occupies an 18 inch square space in the corner floor to almost full 8 foot ceiling height. The home made box is a bit difficult to empty but otherwise works well. It has a viewing port in the side so it is easy to check. It has wheels so when it's full I wheel it to my pickup and drive it to the dump. I can pick it up when full but it is heavy. I have to dig the dust out the roughly foot diameter hole in the top, it won't just all dump out.

I mentioned my setup because I think the Oneida would be more capable and mine works fine for me.