Thread: Burn through poly

Burn through poly

Good Morning all,

I guess the poly finish was a little thinner on one of the edges of my work piece and when I was smoothing it I burned through the poly and lightened the color underneath. Can I sand out that one edge, apply a little stain, a little poly and blend it back? Or is the right answer sanding the whole work piece down again?

It stands out, and it's right in the front. Not sure if I want to live with it or not.

Thanks for your advice,

Phil

A lot depends on the color of the stain and the underlying wood. Can you post a picture?

I suspect you might be able to dab in a little stain to blend it. Don't aim for perfection; aim to make it so your eye isn't drawn to it.

The issue with putting stain on TOP of poly is that it can easily be wiped off, so you need to be delicate with your poly application. While I wouldn't do this on an entire top, what I've done to seal in the repair stain on a finished surface is to spray a very light mist of spray finish (in your case poly). Then brush or wipe on your poly, taking care not to work that spot too much.

I say try it. If it doesn’t work out you can always redo the top but simple attempt first.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution