Thread: Grizzly Industrial T10811 5.5" Wood Lathe Chuck Set : Can you put the spur chuck

Grizzly Industrial T10811 5.5" Wood Lathe Chuck Set : Can you put the spur chuck

On that chuck set from Grizzly, is it possible to install the 4 spur chuck without removing the Grizzly lathe chuck ; when you want to use a 4 spur chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    On that chuck set from Grizzly, is it possible to install the 4 spur chuck without removing the Grizzly lathe chuck ; when you want to use a 4 spur chuck?
    By "spur chuck" do you mean spur drive center? Most drive centers fit directly into the #2MT socket in the lathe spindle. I haven't seen the Grizzly chuck but hole in the center of all chucks I've seen were too small to access the taper. Even if large enough, it seems the thickness of the chuck would make the spur drive inaccessible.

There are drive centers made to be gripped by a chuck instead of the morse taper socket. I have a steb drive center made to work this way. https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-71114-Fl.../dp/B07HFNQ987 I've never used it. The spur might be more useful for bowl blanks but for spindles I'd rather have the chuck out of the way.

I see Sorby and Nova carry spur drive centers made to fit in a chuck:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sorby-RSPDC-P.../dp/B00L7XC9S0
    https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-71009-SP.../dp/B07GQ7S6RX
    No experience with these or the Grizzly chuck, but I suspect they will fit.

JKJ

It really depends on the chuck. I have both the Nova steb and spur, but no longer have any Nova chucks. Not sure who else makes them. The Nova steb center fits my Axminister, but not my HTC125. The 4 prong Nova center doesn’t fit any of the chucks that I use. I use the steb center all the time for smaller turnings where I’m putting on a tenon. Easier to just remove the steb center and get going as the chuck is installed. I also use the steb center in my Axminister on large blanks to determine the best “fit” and then drill the blank for a worm screw for my HTC125 chuck.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

The spur drive that came with my lathe fits perfectly in the middle of my SN2 chucks.
    Tom

I have two of these chucks, so I checked the fit. My spur center wouldn't fit.

The chuck is threaded for 1 x 8 tpi. The ID of the chuck thread is around 0.88".
    My 4 spur center (MT2) has a diameter of about 1.015".
    So the spur center is bigger than the inside thread.

I have an adapter (1-1/4 x 8 on lathe spindle to 1 x 8 on the chuck). So I couldn't really determine if there was enough of the MT2 to stick in the spindle MT. But I measured how much of the MT2 protrudes beyond the back of the chuck and it was about 1.4". I need about 2.4" of penetration to lock up. So, considering that there is close to an inch of threading (spindle into the chuck) it might be close to locking up if I didn't have an adapter and instead had a 1" spindle.

But even if the spur MT would lock up, any piece of wood that I tried to use spur on would have to be pretty small in diameter because it would need to go into the chuck body and clear some of the innards of the chuck and the jaws (which can be removed, but which is always a bit of a PITA). If your 4 spur drive OD is less than about 0.9" things should work, but you would still have the limitation that the turned piece would have to fit into the chuck somewhat. So, you would be limited to turning spindles with the spur drive. If I was turning a narrow spindle and had my chuck already mounted on the lathe, I would just use the chuck jaws to grab the piece.

I suppose that if it was really important, a person could buy and use an MT2 to MT2 extension sleeve. Then my spur would stick out about 2.4 inches further. Griz and others sell these extension sleeves for around $20-25.

Tell us why you want to use a drive spur inside of the chuck. What are you trying to accomplish. Also, if you need other dimensions or more precise measurements, let me know.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 06-10-2020 at 11:32 PM.

I took a closer look at my spur center and chuck(s).

With the jaws moved out of the way, there is a recess of 2" diameter. The spur drive that I have probably would be able to fit into this recess but it is really close. It is within about 0.050" of not fully seating. Morse tapers aren't all identical and maybe another lathe spindle and Mt2 spur drive would definitely lock up or perhaps wouldn't lock up at all.

But with the jaws out of the way, and the spur center kind of sitting deep into the chuck you could only drive a 2" spindle work piece. It is was square, you'd end up with only about 1-1/2" dia. after you made it round.

So, what was your intended application? Or was your questions more of a rhetorical one or one of just being curious?

I saw a video and the person showed where they don't bother changing chucks , and instead, they just put the spur chuck in with the 4 jaw chuck; when they need to use that.

After much back and forth trying to decide which chuck set to get, I bought the Grizzly T10811 . Should arrive in a couple of weeks!

I bought one of them and liked it. It was adequately precise. But I got tired out from changing out the jaws so I bought another one. I have also have a Super Nova and it is on par with the griz chuck, but didn't come with all of the other accessories. I think that you'll enjoy it.

The one thing I could not find out on the Grizzly website, is who they use for shipping small items like Lathe Chucks. Do they USPS , Federal Express or UPS ?

Just to be clear these are the drives I use in my chuck. I initially thought the 4 prong drive didn’t fit, however when I tried it yesterday it fit fine. These are Nova drives. Although the Grizzly chuck may be fine, I would not buy a chuck that you needed to use an adapter.

ACC41826-711F-472A-A453-F77D8754632A_1_201_a.jpgE26E5E75-581D-4B44-B257-B1F8838CC5B1_1_201_a.jpg IMG_0659.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

William C Rogers, thanks for posting the picture of your spur drive. I hadn't seen one that was held in the chuck jaws. Interesting.

My spur drive has a Morse taper so that the connection end is in the end of the lathe spindle.

I can see some benefits of having the chuck hold the spur drive.

Question: Is the square spur drive made out of aluminum ? Its light color has me wondering.

They are both steel. The spur may have been sandblasted. I also have drives that have a MT, but rarely use them any more.

Thanks again. I might make one out of steel or may buy one depending on the price.