Thread: Fiber Rotary Question - Wiring?

Fiber Rotary Question - Wiring?

Can anyone confirm the number of wires on their fiber rotary? Ebay units show (4) wires from what I see but the plug on the back of our unit (I swear) shows a (5) wire plug. Is one just a key-way?

I searched the forum yesterday but didn't see anything. Sorry if this has been addressed before. TIA all.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I couldn't remember exactly so I had to open up the case to see how I rewired mine.

Yes the Chinese fiber laser I got did have a 5 pin plug on the back.

It was setup with two wires that came from the 24vdc power supply and three wires came from the stepper motor controller drive.
    Pin 1 = green ground to P/S
    Pin 2 = Pink to 24 vdc to P/S
    Pin 3 = Yellow to controller
    Pin 4 = orange to controller
    Pin 5 = Blank to controller

The rotary unit I got was a smaller one that only had 4 wires and according the manufacturer's website the four wires to the rotary unit were for:

Direction +
    Direction -
    Pulse +
    Pulse -

which matches up with the A+, A-, B+, B- on the controller inside my fiber laser.

So I replaced the 5 pin connector with a 4 pin connector and ran new wiring to matched up the color coding of the wires from the rotary to the correct connector on the drive controller inside the laser enclosure.

As near as I could tell the smaller rotary units just get all their power/controls directly from the stepper drive controller.

The 5 pin must be for the larger rotary units that need the 24vdc.

My rotary unit was from www dot snowit-motor dot com. I just searched their webpage and found a picture of the wiring diagram and followed it.

So the wiring setup you would use would depend on which rotary unit you end up buying.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 06-17-2020 at 8:31 PM.

Thanks Rob. Seems to match up with what I have learned (slowly since I first posted).

I should be pulling the trigger on an 80mm in the next day or so. I'll post back in hopes this thread helps someone else down the road.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

So quick update: the unit I purchased (with a new controller card) never made it to the door; some time after the seller refunded my money because they were in fact out of stock even though 3bay showed quantity. Still working on finding time to find a solution. To be continued...

Hope you all are well and good.

Out.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01