Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic vs Rockwell Delta

My "newest planer" is from 1960 - The senior one from 1945. Neither one is pretty- both will outlive me.

Can't tell much from a photo. A junk machine could still sport a new paint job.

Had a PM 100 when teaching school. Own a Rockwell version of the Rockwell / Delta planer. Liked both of them. The Rockwell is a little heavier than the PM, if memory serves me correct. Both have drive motors the size of a five gallon bucket. I know the Rockwell can be disassembled into parts for transportation down a set of stairs into a basement workshop. Also own a Delta DC-380.

I also had PM100 in my last school shop. They are very simple and robust. Unless something major is broken, just put new bearings and maybe a Byrd head in it and use it for another 20 years, then put new bearings in it again, repeat.

I bought the planer today, the PM100.
    It will be a few weeks before I have time to work on it. It has seen a lot of use in a high school shop, the bed is a bit torn up, but it's a simple, solid machine and just needs a little TLC. Looking forward to getting it back in shape.

Thanks for all the wisdom. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Based on that picture, please don’t tell me you think you can see wear marks Surface rust maybe, but wear marks? And regarding the looks of the machine, it’s used, and probably 40 years old. That’s patina man!

Actually they are pretty rare. They haven’t been made for decades and they aren’t for sale often. They’re quality American made machines, and that’s enough for some people. But to each their own. Plenty of people with shops full of grizzly equipment, and that’s cool too.

Matt , I don't think I can see, I can see.

Because they don't come up for sale doesn't make them rare - only rarely for sale. Anyway, my point was that their rarity (or lack of) doesn't make them more valuable. Sorry I didn't articulate that.

I look at them as a tool to do a job that requires a capital expense and am saying I think better options exist. Since I'm not a collector, conservationist, or steward of Merican Iron, I place zero value on the intangible stuff that's clearly important to you.