Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic vs Rockwell Delta

Powermatic vs Rockwell Delta

This 12" Powermatic planer is for sale locally on craigslist, they are asking $750
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.31.25 PM.jpg

This Rockwell Delta 13" x 6" planer is for sale locally on the auction site, asking price is $950.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.30.15 PM.jpg

I use my Dewalt 735 almost daily, and would like a quieter stationary machine, so I got to thinking about a planer with an induction motor. I would swap out the head for a helical head.

I read a lot of not-so-happy reports on the current Asian 15" planers (I also read some happy reports on them to be fair). So I got to thinking about older machines. A Powermatic 160 or 180 is too big for my workshop - I already have a 24" beast, these 12" and 13" machines would fit my needs better.

Does anyone have any opinions on either of the machines above?

thanks, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 06-09-2020 at 1:45 AM. Reason: clarification

Hope you don't ever need parts for either. From a happy owner of a 15" Grizzly

Based on the wear on them, they look like they have had a lot of use over the years. Are they single or 3 phase? If 3 phase, do you have it available? An inverter will add to the cost.

They look like they would at least need clean up, possibly an overhaul. Personally, I am past that phase in my life, so I would pass if funds were available for a 15" Jet or Griz. But if you are into that sort of thing, they might be worth a look, just know that you might not be able to bring it home, plug it in, and use it straight away.

I don't have personal experience with either of those planers; I have a Delta 13" four-poster. Based on what I have absorbed from the OWWM.org Web site, I'd lean toward the Powermatic, provided they are both in similar reasonable shape. Said Web site is also an outstanding source for experienced second opinions on these two planers, advice on restoration, and locating parts you may need.
    Chuck Taylor

I’d get that PM100 in a heartbeat. Probably the best small planer ever made. Parts are available, on the small chance you’d need them, on eBay and OWWM. There are a lot of them around and a big group of happy owners.

It’s old and dirty, and still better than a lot of overseas machines. And made here in the USA.

The Powermatic's switches are in a stupid location. That alone would keep me from buying it.

The Delta is almost certainly from Invicta in Brazil if such things matter to you.

Both look like they've they been rode hard.

How can you guys tell from looking at an old used machine that it’s been “rode hard” or “had a lot of use”. They’re probably 50 years old or older - you guys don’t look like a spankin’ new baby either!

Guess I have to remind myself that this is SMC (mostly new machinery fans) and not OWWM (old machinery fans).

7. Its actually a fairly easy choice. The Powermatic, as long as you can verify that everything works, and you can get a Shelix that fits it (probably can). Price that out before buying as I'm pretty sure you will at least be paying the price of the machine again.

Thanks guys. I’ll post on owwm too.
    I’m leaning towards the PM.
    Is $750 a reasonable price? - presuming the motor works and I’m sure there’ll be lot of little issues to deal with.

That’s on the high side. I bought my Oliver 399 (18”) for about $800. I’d try to get closer to $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Guess I have to remind myself that this is SMC (mostly new machinery fans) and not OWWM (old machinery fans).

That gave me a chuckle. At least over here, you can talk price.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I own one of both of these planers
    The PM 100 is my 'go to" planer; easy to work on and maintain and while its only a 5" x 12", it thinks its bigger- truly an industrial planer in a small package.
    The Delta/Rockwell is a 22-401- slightly larger capacity at 6" x 13" and not quite as robust as the PM100 but still a solid planer and it features a variable speed feed, making it a quite good final pass planer. Its a little more involved to repair/rebuild but pretty doable.
    The price is about what they go for around here and at that price there should be no issues beyond adjustments, belts and dull knives- I paid in the 500 range for both of mine but they both needed work.
    I run good grade HSS steel straight knives in all my machines; I don't have issues with setting or touching up knives when they dull, and tearout is very is infrequent with a well set up machine, sharp knives and that you plane in the right direction- even with figured grain.
    And FWIW, I also have an Oliver 399 and parts and support can get pricey- thank goodness for members over at OWWM, lot of experience on those forums
    All that said, I'd lean to the PM 100

It should be easy to add another switch station to that planer while leaving the existing one in place. On my planer I have a on/off pushbutton station on the front with a maintained off switch on the outfeed side.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    How can you guys tell from looking at an old used machine that it’s been “rode hard” or “had a lot of use”. They’re probably 50 years old or older - you guys don’t look like a spankin’ new baby either!
    Speak for yourself. I still have my boyish good looks. Most babies are unattractive, even though most people don't want to say it.

How does one surmise a tool has been rode hard ?

Being old and not lookin close to showroom fresh is one clue. The paint overspray on the PM is another. Looks to be pretty decent wear marks on the cast iron tables too. That doesn't happen from a few thousand feet of pine in old gramp's garage. The Delta's rating plate and depth scale are worn away. How's does that even happen - even from lots of normal use? The switch isn't original either. Which likely means it was worn out.

One can just tell these weren't Sunday drivers, well maintained by factory techs with books and records. And there's nothing wrong with that. They were built to be used. That said, there's nothing shown that makes these anymore compelling that the thousands of other similar planers. The price isn't a bargain, they ain't rare or pretty, or have any special features. They only real upside I can tell is they're local to Mark.

I am the proud owner of a PM 100,I have had a Delta but there is nothing that compares to the 100. Unless someone has broken something don't worry about parts,its a tank. The Rockwell would be my second choice but I have never use one before of that style. The PM 100 is a planer that has been in schools woodshop for yrs,only use hobby guys could dream of owning one but thanks to school districts kinda doing away with wood shop are they becoming available. If the seller is honest,and it works jump on it,be the very last planer you will ever buy unless you think that you need something wider than the 12". That planer could be use every single day and all you need to do is to keep it clear of chips,and blades sharp. Your done

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Being old and not lookin close to showroom fresh is one clue. The paint overspray on the PM is another. Looks to be pretty decent wear marks on the cast iron tables too.

That said, there's nothing shown that makes these anymore compelling that the thousands of other similar planers. The price isn't a bargain, they ain't rare or pretty, or have any special features. They only real upside I can tell is they're local to Mark.
    Based on that picture, please don’t tell me you think you can see wear marks Surface rust maybe, but wear marks? And regarding the looks of the machine, it’s used, and probably 40 years old. That’s patina man!

Actually they are pretty rare. They haven’t been made for decades and they aren’t for sale often. They’re quality American made machines, and that’s enough for some people. But to each their own. Plenty of people with shops full of grizzly equipment, and that’s cool too.