Thread: Old Wadsworth Fuse Box Question

Old Wadsworth Fuse Box Question

I have an old Wadsworth 100 amp fuse box that has a 30 amp 240 volt pull-out fuse block (part# 8038-58)
    IMG-6276.jpgIMG-6278.jpgIMG-6268.jpg

I ran 4 ~ 6 awg wires out to my garage to a 60 amp sub panel, But I was just planning to use the 30 amp pull out for now & then upgrade the fuse box to a larger breaker panel later.

I did some checking around & I found a 60 amp Wadsworth pull-out on e-bay part# 8038-57
    IMG-6247.jpgIMG-6248.jpgIMG-6246.jpg

The two bases look almost identical accept for a little pin in the top of the 30 amp block that fits into a slot/notch that's in the pull-out head/fuse holder. There made so that the 30 amp head will fit into the 60 amp base, But because of that pin & notch the 60 amp head won't fit into the 30 amp base. It makes since to me that it was done that way to preventing someone from putting in a higher amp head into a circuit with lower amp wiring, But in my case with 6 awg wire could I remove the pin or notch the 60 amp head?

In other words are the bases both the same & it's just the heads that are different?

Doug

I got the part numbers for the pull-outs from the wiring diagram on the door of the fuse box.
    IMG-6281.jpgIMG-6282.jpg

I couldn't find any part# for this 60 amp pull-out fuse holder that I seen on e-bay, But it's called a Range pull-out & it has that little notch that matches my 30 amp pull-out's base ?
    s-l1600.jpgWadsworth-60-Amp-Fuse-Holder-Pull-Out-Range-120-240-V-57.jpg

Doug

First of all, yuck, that is all I can really say about a box like that. I couldn't tear it out and replace it with a decent QO box fast enough. At least it isn't a Federal Pacific or a Pushmatic, though. Fuses are pretty reliable, if a pain.

Second of all, and more importantly, if you have to replace the fuse block, can you disconnect the power to the block without pulling the meter? It looks from the schematic that that block doesn't have a main ahead of it, but taps off the line side of the box. Looks like a (dreaded) rule of 6 main box. Yuck.

Also, that looks like SE cable feeding the box (yuck again). Is it rated to take the combined load af a 60A pull out and the lighting block, if there is no main fuse? Just something else to think about.

I don't mean to sound negative about this, but I'd be leary about modifying a set up like that if there isn't a main fuse or breaker protecting everything south of it. Also your local inspector might not be keen on modifying service equipment in that way.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 06-09-2020 at 1:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Residential breaker panels are dirt cheap, probably less than the cost of the part you're looking for. I wouldn't touch that fuse box with a 10' pole, unless it was to remove it. You'll spend a few bucks for breakers, but why not just do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    More importantly, if you have to replace the fuse block, can you disconnect the power to the block without pulling the meter?
    No,
    The meter would need to be pulled!

It looks from the schematic that that block doesn't have a main ahead of it, but taps off the line side of the box.
    Yeah your correct on that!
    However that current 30 amp pull-out block is wired with 4 ga. wire which would handle the 60 amp pull-out! That's what leads me to believe that the connections & contacts of the base its-self would handle the 60 amp pull-out fuse holder I already have?

Looks like a (dreaded) rule of 6 main box. Yuck.
    That's a new one for me, I'll have to look it up!

Also, that looks like SE cable feeding the box (yuck again). Is it rated to take the combined load af a 60A pull out and the lighting block, if there is no main fuse?
    Yeah it is SE cable! It's 3AWG which I believe is good for 100 amps?
    IMG-6284.jpg
    The main house (fuse side of box) pull-out is fused at 60 amps, So in theory if the house & garage were pulling near their max of 60 amps each! Then yeah it "Could" be possible to overload the SE cable.

Doug

Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann
    Looks like a (dreaded) rule of 6 main box. Yuck.

"That's a new one for me, I'll have to look it up!"

Back when I learned how to be an electrician the NEC allowed for up to 6 main disconnects in one location (not exactly how I want to say it but best I can phrase it right now)
    Pushmatic was best example for a residential, it had a split buss that accommodated 6 two pole breakers, the bottom one supplied power to the second buss that all of the 120v breakers attached to. So the top five breakers would be range, dryer, AC, well pump and out building as an example, then the main breaker for all of the 120v loads, such as lighting, recptacles, etc.
    Your panel is another example as it needs two moves of the hand to disconnect all power.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Residential breaker panels are dirt cheap, probably less than the cost of the part you're looking for.

I already have the 60 amp block. The one I seen on e-bay called a 'Range Pull-Out" is only $30!

Why not just do it right?
    Just changing the 100 amp fuse box to a 100 amp breaker panel wouldn't really help me much!

To do it right I would need to have the over-head power lines coming to the house upgraded & then upgrade the service entrance cable along with the new breaker panel!

I wouldn't touch that fuse box with a 10' pole,
    About 5~6 years ago I had my Furnace & AC replaced & my old fuse-box passed inspection back then, So it can't really be that bad!

I also got a quote at that time to also upgrade the electrical, And it would have been another $2500~$3500 depending what size panel I wanted to upgrade too.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Walls; 06-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    ...my old fuse-box passed inspection back then, So it can't really be that bad!
    Doug
    I’ve spent the last 32 years of my life working with electricity and the only thing I’d spend even a penny on if that was mine is replacing it. Lots of things get grandfathered by code, that doesn’t mean they are good. If you need to look for parts for your electrical panel on eBay that’s a pretty good sign that it’s time to bite the bullet.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 06-09-2020 at 6:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I’ve spent the last 32 years of my life working with electricity and the only thing I’d spend even a penny on if that was mine is replacing it. Lots of things get grandfathered by code, that doesn’t mean they are good. If you need to look for parts for your electrical panel on eBay that’s a pretty good sign that it’s time to bite the bullet.
    Same here. I've been an electrician for 45 years & I agree with this completely.

The last box like that I've seen was in a small building built in 1963. I think it was probably a used box then.

I would not only not spend any money on it, I wouldn't spend any time thinking about it.

Every time I see one of those boxes, like we had in the house I grew up in, built in 1947, the John Prine song comes in my head about his Grandpa carpenter putting a penny in a burned out fuse. I've seen that done too, when all the spare fuses were gone.