Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a large chuck for some big platters?

Blog Entries

Recommend a large chuck for some big platters?

Hi all,
    I've been turning for several years now, but never anything larger than about 16" diameter bowls on my own lathes, and never needed to purchase a big chuck for my own use. Time to up the sizes for a request my wife has made.

She wants some very large platters and a bigger fruit bowl.

My General 26020 lathe has outboard capability, and I have an outboard stand/rest.

Here's the stats on my lathe, and I'd like to be able to use inserts so I can use the new chuck both inboard and outboard.

Inboard spindle = 1 1/4 x 8
    Outboard spindle = 1 1/8 x 8

My lathe has been upgraded to 3hp running on 3 phase power and VFD. I can adjust speeds as slow as needed.

I've grown accustomed to using hex keys for tightening and prefer them, but that isn't a deal-breaker.

I'd like recommendations for a heavy duty chuck that has a lot of jaw options and be capable enough that I probably won't ever outgrow. I'd like to stay under $400 or so, preferably.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Greg Muller; 06-08-2020 at 4:39 PM.

How large is very large? I routinely turn 17-18" offset platters on a SN2 with 50mm jaws, and have also turned a 24" offset platter (pic attached) with the same setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I forgot that info.

The goal is working up to a platter at 28-32" and up from there as i get accustomed to doing them. Eventually, 48" if all goes well. Also, some large vases from logs.

I have my eyes on an American Beauty or Robust in the future, so getting a big, dependable chuck that'll grow with my needs is probably a good idea.

I was tired of changing out jaws so recently bought a new chuck, because I've been turning some pretty hefty wood (in the 60-80+ lb range) and started using a coring system. I decided to go for the Vicmarc VM150. The jaws interchange with my VM120 and come in sizes quite large (and small). I have absolutely no complaints (well it did take a couple go-rounds to get used to the quick action), but then I also have nothing to compare it to. I can't imagine wanting a bigger chuck for anything I'm about to do; for larger pieces I'd probably choose a big faceplate instead anyway. My oldest Vicmarc is perhaps 15 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down. I'll bet the other offerings in that class all work well. I really like the positive grip of the hex drive for tightening it.

Some wood turners gently slow down their lathe with their speed control before stopping and some will simply either flip the forward-reverse switch to off or abruptly turn the speed control down.

If you have something really heavy spinning on the lathe and abruptly stop it, it may have a tendency to unscrew the chuck. Don't ask me how I know

So, Greg, when selecting a chuck, you may want to consider getting one with a grub screw. Either that or just remember to slow down the lathe a bit more gradually.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. And I can use the VFD to reverse rotation also, so a lockdown is probably a good idea.

Someone did recommend the Vicmark 120 to me. I'll look up the 150 info.

I'd assume the outboard thread a left handed thread? That could be an issue with an insert. Hope you have a big ass motor, it takes a ton of power to take a nice cut at a 24" radius.

You can get up to 9" Mega jaws for the VM120 from Craft Supplies.

I have a vm120 too. It's a beast. I can't imagine you'd need more chuck than that for platters. The bigger chucks might be needed for big, long hollow forms, but less so for platters IMO. I also have a Nova Titan that I think would do the job too. But the vm jaws are heavier duty in general and the grip like mad.

Blog Entries
    I see the Vicmarc 120 comes in direct thread and insert versions. You can get the direct thread in 1 1/4x8, which is the inboard size of my lathe.

Is there an advantage to either option?

Will I be able to use a different adapter with either version? I found someone who sells 1 1/8 x 8 left handed adapters and they can make it with any tool thread. That's what I can use for the outboard side.

Thanks again!

I have the VN120 without an insert, you cannot readily add an insert as there is not one made from the factory, I'm not sure if there would be enough safe room to do so from an engineering point of view. I have three VM100 chucks, all with inserts as I can and do use them on other lathes with different thread sizes.

The VM120n chuck is a beautiful chuck, quick and easy to use. The amount of jaw sets available will pretty much see you for anything big (ish) you can find. The depth of their jaws is different depending upon their size, as they go up in size the depth of grip goes up. If you look at the drawings on the link, you can see the different dovetail sizes. Expansion and contraction angle are the same.

There is a short clip at the bottom of this link, from the factory.

https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option...=18&Itemid=449

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    I see the Vicmarc 120 comes in direct thread and insert versions. You can get the direct thread in 1 1/4x8, which is the inboard size of my lathe.

Is there an advantage to either option?

Will I be able to use a different adapter with either version? I found someone who sells 1 1/8 x 8 left handed adapters and they can make it with any tool thread. That's what I can use for the outboard side.

Thanks again!

I'd get the insert because it should have a grub screw. My VM120 is direct thread, no grub screw provision. I have had mine spin off if you cut the power at high rpm. Not always, but sometimes. And using in reverse on a big piece without a grub screw, I just wouldn't do it. It sure would come off even with light pressure.

When this sort of question comes around, I always feel the need to mention the "Hurricane" line from The Wood Turning Store. I have used them for some years, less expensive but have certainly exhibited good quality.

The Oneway Stronghold is a large chuck with inserts however, changing inserts is not something you want to do on a regular basis. Oneway recommends replacing the insert screws whenever you change the insert. Oneway has lots of jaw sizes available. You could get a Oneway Stronghold and several sets of jaws for your budget.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. I went with a Vicmarc after talking to one of their tech people. They put me in touch with a stateside supplier who had both a 1 1/4x8 insert and 1 1/8x8 Left Hand insert (amazingly!).