Thread: SOS! Help with dining table and bench.

SOS! Help with dining table and bench.

Need help. Neighbors want me to build a table like this with this bench to match. Table to be about 6'x3' and the bench about 6' long. Wood they want me to use is some reclaimed cargo flooring that is 1.25" thick. Not too concerned about the table. I am concerned about having a bench that long with the waterfall style in which I plan on just using floating tenons in the miters. Seems like potentially lots of stress on the miter joints when adults a sitting on the bench. Trying to get them to consider some other reclaimed stuff that is 2" thick. Any suggestions on ways to strengthen the miter or am I being overly cautious. I am an engineer and tend to stick to the belt and suspenders way of solving problems.

that table... wow. yes, i would be concerned about it also. seems like a stretcher would be in keeping with the table "design" can you charge extra if you make the whole table with a chain saw?

Run a trestle under the waterfall bench. Make it as tall as they will allow and butt it up against the bottom of the bench. I made one of these a few years ago 84" long. Has held up well. From standing height, you can't even see the trestle on this one.

(unsolicited advice): When people ask me to make commercial imitations, I generally tell them it'll cost MORE than the original...

Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-08-2020 at 2:38 PM.

That is beautiful!!! When I think trestle, I think one that is down low like in the table pic I sent. Can you show me the underside of your bench as I'm not clear. How thick is your bench seat and legs?

One other thing. I don't have a Festool. Got a fool proof way to cut the motises for the floating tenons in the mitered ends?

Prashun,

That is beautiful!!! When I think trestle, I think one that is down low like in the table pic I sent. Can you show me the underside of your bench as I'm not clear. How thick is your bench seat and legs?

One other thing. I don't have a Festool. Got a fool proof way to cut the motises for the floating tenons in the mitered ends?

Blog Entries
    If you make the bench from red maple to the same dimensions (width =18") noted in your post according to the sagulator with two adults (500 pounds total weight) sitting in the middle of the bench, the bench will sag 0.20 inches. The sag would be less if hard maple or white oak is used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made that for a neighbor so I no longer have it. The trestle is about 2.5” thick on mine. It has not sagged but I would go thicker. The bench is 1.75” thick. Some shaker table trestles are high up, even butting up against the underside.

I used a Domino for the mortises; sorry. You can make a jig for your router to do it I suppose.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-09-2020 at 10:11 AM.

After you cut the 45 degree ends add a full length spline, cut the groove at 45 degrees on the table saw. Awkward yes but doable. The spline end will be a nice feature. You will need the trestle as Prashun suggested. If you add shoulders to the trestle you can increase the glue area to the bottom of the seat, strengthen the trestle and have locations for countersunk screws. Don’t show them Prashun’s beautiful creation!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Still confused as to what the trestle is in this case. Those I've seen span the length of the table and are somehow attached to the legs but well below the table. Will this be, say a 1"x2" or 2"x2" piece that will attach via screws to legs and the underside of the bench? Could I do the same with a heavy gage metal plate? LOVE the sagulator!

Also, thanks for the advice on telling folks that my building a copy of a commercial piece will cost more money.

Don't get hung up on the word 'trestle'. Think of it as a batten that stiffens the seat, and simultaneously reduces racking of the legs. So, it's a batten-stretcher. It's like a shelf stiffening batten.