Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kate Blanchett injured by chainsaw. Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Kate Blanchett injured by chainsaw. Wait, what?

The subject says it all. Is it just me or are the rest of you really curious how an a-lister got near enough to a chainsaw to get a, “nick in the head”? Was she operating the chainsaw?

I don’t follow the tabloids other than to steal a glance at the headlines in the checkout. But I do like to see things that humanize these folks.

I read that Mark Harmon did remodeling when he was a starving actor and that he still hangs Sheetrock from time to time so he can hang out with his old friends.

I read that William H Macy is a wood turner. The article said that his contract rider stated that he was to have two trailers on location. One for him and one for his Powermatic lathe.

Too many folks "glamorize" well known people who, with some obvious exceptions, are just regular people who happen to have done something to become noteworthy. Even those who, um...put themselves on pillars...do stuff for fun, too. We shouldn't be surprised that just like us, they have hobbies, interests and personal activities that bring them enjoyment. And they also bleed like the rest of us when blades and power tools are involved...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, all I found says she was doing some work in the garden and got a cut on her head from the chainsaw. Unless she was in a fight with a gardener or was learning to juggle, she must have been doing it herself. Maybe she'll join the Creek and give a kickback report.

Harrison Ford did carpentry before he was famous too.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 06-08-2020 at 9:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post

Harrison Ford did carpentry before he was famous too.
    He also enjoys flying planes...although he's had some controvesrial issues with that as of late...
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    He also enjoys flying planes...although he's had some controvesrial issues with that as of late...
    I saw Harrison Ford on “Inside the Actors Studio” once and he and James Lipton got into a conversation about flying (Lipton was also a pilot). I think they were talking about Fords helicopter and Ford got that iconic sheepish smile and admitted that he “broke it”. I think he’s had a few mishaps over the years.

Blog Entries
    The report of Ms Blanchett's accident that came to my attention stated it was just a little nick.

Nothing has said what kind of chainsaw was involved. My first chain saw was a small electric unit. Good for trimming small branches in the garden.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Landing on a taxiway isn't good form :-) Or at least what I read. He did have an engine quit on a WWII era trainer and landed it on a golf course but I don't know that was his fault, those old engines did that from time to time. I was talking to the people at the FBO in Jackson Hole, just swappin' lies. They said Harrison would come to the airport and go back in the shop and shoot the breeze with the line guys and mechanics. My opinion of Harrison Ford went up that day. There's enough A'holes in Hollywood, he doesn't sound like one.

I’ve seen David Lynch at Eagle Tools in LA. Understand he has quite the shop.

Also Jimmy Carter https://www.finewoodworking.com/1984...ter-woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The report of Ms Blanchett's accident that came to my attention stated it was just a little nick.
    If the chain saw hit you in the head you’d have to hold it there for a little while before it went clear through your skull. But who does that?

It’s when it hits you in the neck, that’s the real owie. So yeah, probably just a nick. Still, much sympathies to Kate, she sounds like a real go-getter! Women with chain saws, that’s hot.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how many remember Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes. He had a nice little shop in his back yard. He wrote an article in FWW (Issue 146 in 2001) entitled "In my imagination, all my tools are sharp."

Sigh... I miss writing like that. I once read some of his early reporting and he was truly a great copy writer and reporter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I’ve seen David Lynch at Eagle Tools in LA. Understand he has quite the shop.

Also Jimmy Carter https://www.finewoodworking.com/1984...ter-woodworker

Jimmy Carter was in FWW twice. Issue 46 and issue 174 in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Landing on a taxiway isn't good form :-) Or at least what I read. He did have an engine quit on a WWII era trainer and landed it on a golf course but I don't know that was his fault, those old engines did that from time to time. I was talking to the people at the FBO in Jackson Hole, just swappin' lies. They said Harrison would come to the airport and go back in the shop and shoot the breeze with the line guys and mechanics. My opinion of Harrison Ford went up that day. There's enough A'holes in Hollywood, he doesn't sound like one.
    Oh, I agree...he's a good dude. I was only mentioning that he's had a few mishaps with the flying side of things; stuff happens and he's human.

Heck, John Travolta is a commercial pilot for Quantas, I believe. Now THAT'S a hobby! LOL
    --

Oh, I agree...he's a good dude. I was only mentioning that he's had a few mishaps with the flying side of things; stuff happens and he's human.

Heck, John Travolta is a commercial pilot for Quantas, I believe. Now THAT'S a hobby! LOL
    Don't know about that but he did have have a B707 parked at his airpark home at one time. I don't know if he still has it or not. I think Travolta did fly for a living for a while. I'm sure what he chose to do afterwards pays better though. Here's a bit about Travolta
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-09-2020 at 7:53 AM.

Not sure what he's up to lately, but he was taking enough flight hours to keep his qualifications.
    --

So, Cate Blanchette 'didn't elaborate' on how the chainsaw accident happened...

Maybe her and Andy were replaying Belushi's 'Samarai Stockbroker' skit...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle