Thread: Options for Cyclone with low ceiling height ?

Options for Cyclone with low ceiling height ?

My shop is in the basement and the ceiling height is 89-90” max. This is height from slab to bottom of the subfloor above (in between joists.)

What are my options for a 3-5 hp cyclone with sub 1 micron filtration?

I currently have a modified 2HP HF model (Wynn 35A canister, upgraded impeller, thein baffle) and I really am not satisfied with it most of the time and don’t think I can hot rod it anymore so am considering a nice cyclone.

My brother just got a Clearvue 5 HP that looks great but I haven’t had the chance to actually use it, but I’ve heard great things.
    Still waters run deep.

Oneida V-system 3000. HEPA filtering, 3 hp, long cone, 88" tall with a 35 gal drum. Seems to check all your boxes.

There's a bunch of short-cone systems from JDS, Laguna, and others. The short cone provides a short overall height, but it is not as effective at removing dust from the air stream, so more dust goes over to the filter. At worst, that means more dust gets back out into your shop. At best, it means you have to clean the filter more often. Short cone machines can be identified because the cone looks shorter, and because they often have some scheme for cleaning the filter - a mechanical beater or the like.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-08-2020 at 12:17 AM.

A shorter, fatter barrel will let you use a taller cyclone, it's a tradeoff between efficiency and how often you need to empty the bin. Is there anywhere where you could place the collector where you could pop the motor up through a hole in the floor?

I'm always surprised that there isn't enough of a market for a more compact design to succeed. It would seem that the motor and blower could be arranged next to the cyclone rather than on top of it saving 12-18 inches. While visiting an organ shop in Germany I saw an amazing DC; it was about a 6 ft cube, whisper quiet in operation, HEPA filtered, and provided enough flow to service a 4 person shop with multiple large machines running simultaneously. I don't know who made it, and I suspect it cost significantly more than a new BMW-- definitely had that look about it. The owner would only say "zu teuer".

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    My shop is in the basement and the ceiling height is 89-90” max. This is height from slab to bottom of the subfloor above (in between joists.)

What are my options for a 3-5 hp cyclone with sub 1 micron filtration?
    There is a lot you can do in that 90 inches! My basement is 213cm (about 84 inches) slab to slab and is below grade with no outside access, so dust control is important to me.

I have a 3HP Bernardo RV350 blower assembly connected to an Oneida Steel Super Dust Deputy and 120mm steel ducting throughout the shop. The exhaust from the blower goes to plenum I made that uses a pair of Wynn 35B222NANO filters and filter pans. The Oneida dumps into a 35-gallon plastic trash can. I used offcuts to build a cross brace for the inside of the trash can to keep it from collapsing again. It was not pretty.

My air compressor fits nicely in the space under the filters.

My planned upgrades for this year include replacing the steel SDD with the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL, replacing the 35-gallon plastic trash can with an equivalent volume 19mm plywood box, replacing the existing 120mm ducting with 150mm ducting, and installing a soft-start contactor for the blower motor.

90" is plenty. I have a ClearVue 5hp unit with a 96" ceiling. There are about 2-3" to spare above the motor. However, I am using a 31gal steel trashcan as a bin. If I had a 80-90" ceiling I would just cut down the trashcan to size, or more likely just build a short, fat wooden bin and no problem. As others have shown you can make a custom plenum for the filters to allow for the low ceiling, or just run from 6" flex line from the blower output to the filter intake.

Blog Entries
    I am in the "build a short fat wooden bin" camp. You can build the spoil container to your own specs. It just has to connect reasonably. I run a 35 gallon barrel because I just don't like to fight with any more weight than that. I am sure this varies with your path from the normal operating location of your barrel to your dump site. I prefer a more frequent trip with a rolling barrel that I can easily lift. Maybe I am showing my age . . . nah, that can't be it .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

very nice installation
    would you please expand on the reasons behind all the upgrades you have planned?
    trash can to plywood box is fairly obvious, wondering about the other changes.
    Thank you
    Ron

Well this is all great news. A shorter collection bin sounds like an easy way to go.

Those of you have built a custom sized plywood box for the spoil collection, do you have it lined with something that can slide out easily for when it’s time to dump the shavings or do you just move the whole box?

Something like the rolling Felder RL series dust collector bin would be pretty handy, though I’d imagine the difficulty there would be keeping the air tight seal.

I watched a 15 year old, barely used RL 125 sell at a regional online auction recently for nearly $3k after fees and taxes...I thought they were priced close to that new! They look pretty neat, but it seems like a budget conscious woodworker could spend their hard-earned money spread out elsewhere and get some more bang for the buck.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    very nice installation
    would you please expand on the reasons behind all the upgrades you have planned?
    trash can to plywood box is fairly obvious, wondering about the other changes.
    Thank you
    Ron
    Thanks, Ron! When I designed the system, I had a 2HP blower assembly on order and was confident that it would work well with my proposed layout. My design was based on what European distributors could provide or what I could mail through the USPS. Unfortunately, ClearVue is not available here, and Oneida distributors do not stock the larger cyclones. I bought the Steel Super Dust Deputy from a Woodcraft store in Virginia on one of my trips, and it was the largest cyclone that could be repackaged to meet the USPS size limit.

The Super Dust Deputy is advertised to work with blowers up to 3HP and has a 5-inch inlet (127mm), so I selected a 120mm duct distribution. While I was waiting on the rest of the ducting to arrive, I was offered a 3HP blower, so I took it. After I installed my system, I checked the flow through one of the longer straight runs, and it wasn't as much as I thought it should be. I can't remember the CFM I was seeing, but I am confident that it is due to the number of 90 and 45 degree bends I have in the 120mm duct. The layout works and looks nice, but the airflow is compromised because of the number of bends.

The SDD XL is advertised to work with blowers rated 3HP to 5HP, and has a 6-inch inlet (152mm). However, since it is taller than the SSD, and I can't move the motor any higher, I have to compromise on the height of the collection bin. I am also going to give up on the nice and neat duct layout in favor of a layout that promotes better airflow. I have everything I need for the new DC system, but need to find the time to do it. Now that I'm retired, I don't have as much free time as I used to have.

I'm installing the soft start contactor to ease the load on the motor during start up. We have larger versions installed on air handlers and chiller plant pumps, and based on our maintenance history, it seems to be better for the motor when compared to air handlers that don't have the soft start modification. Maybe not.

I have a Dwyer 477AV digital manometer and a 166-6 pitot tube to check the flow through the ducting. As I tear down the existing system, I'll set up a two-meter section of the 120mm ducting straight out of the existing SDD and baseline the airflow. Then I'll install the SDD XL with two meters of 150mm ducting and repeat the test. I really hope I will see an improvement in airflow with the SDD XL and larger ducting.

Phillip, I have a Clearvue 1800 installed in my basement. I made three modifications (none to the cyclone itself) in order to fit in my available 83" in height (floor to bottom of joists):

Mounted motor/blower assembly between the joists,This gave me an additional 7+ inches. Initially, I was concerned that the motor might overheat but Ed Morgano assured me that as long as I have 1/2" clearance from the top of the motor to the sub-floor above that I would be OK. He turned out to be correct.

Mounted the two filters side by side by modifying the plenum at the top to feed both filters. I made a single cleanout box on wheels to capture any wood dust and to enable easier filter changes..

I worked with Ed Morgano and he sent me plans for a simple motor bracket.

My install is up for about 9(?) years now. No leaks and nothing has ever reached the cleanout box.

I use a 35 gallon fiber drum that I originally purchased from Penn State

Paul, thanks for that detailed post. Do you have any photos of your setup? Sounds like we have very similar height situations and the ClearVue 1800 is the cyclone I’ve had my eyes on.
    Still waters run deep.

Phillip, if you wish, please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you what I have.

The most important thing you need to understand about the bin under the cyclone is that it must be 100% completely sealed with zero air leaks including the connection to the cyclone's cone. Even a pin-hole can cause blow-by which will make a mess inside your filters which is difficult/unpleasant to deal with. So keep that in mind as you plan your construction of the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Mike
    Have problems with my setup and need to rework it, So trying to get a better understanding of what works for other shops.