Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Extremely loud when cutting

CNC Extremely loud when cutting

Im currently running a workbee cnc with a 2.2kW spindle. My current project is using a 1/4" compression bit to cut out some stand up desks out of .7"paint grade birch plywood. Ill attach a video but in short its hitting 104+dB on the noise levels making my normal hearing protection insufficient. My only measuring instrument is an app on my phone which tops out at about the same noise levels, so it could be louder. My question is how do I reduce this chatter, if thats the issue, and reduce the the overall volume of the machine?

In the video the 1/4" bit is running at 66IPM at a .28" DOC.
    - you may want to turn your volume down before opening.

I understand that it is pretty aggressive to preform that DOC on my machine but the compression bit down cut doesn’t start till .276" on the bit. Is there a strategy that I could attempt to preform that would reduce the strain on the overall machine?
    Thanks for your help!

I have found that the noise level when cutting like this just is what it is. Changing the RPM slightly from your controller software while the job is running can sometimes make it a more comfortable frequency, however. Sometimes only a few RPM can make a difference. I use a .25" compression cutter with some level of frequency in a variety of materials and it is indeed loud. But so are the normal up-cut and down-cut .25" tools, too. My experience has been that the larger the tool, the louder it is. .125" and smaller are noticeably quieter and my .375" tools are louder than the .25" tools. This is in solid wood or sheet goods. Everything is "darn quiet" in HDU.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For really loud stuff, I wear ear plugs plus head phone style hearing defenders. Perhaps double up on your ear protection.
    David

Maybe it's just the way the video sound came through but it wasn't very loud on my computer. I use a 1/4" compression bit to cut 1/2" BB in one pass and it's fairly loud - 18k rpm, 175 ipm, 3kW water cooled spindle.

When I cut hardwoods like Walnut or Maple, and the thickness is closer to 3/4", then I cut that in two passes of 0.375" DOC each pass. But I still cut at the same rpm and ipm as the BB. The noise level is about the same. Also, I wear hearing protection for every machine in the shop except the drill press (I even wear hearing protection when I vacuum in the house!).

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

It doesn’t sound any louder than what I’ve experienced. I have db Meter Pro on my phone that registers up to 130db, 104db readings are not that unusual. Machine rigidity, feeds/speeds, and cutter design/sharpness can all have an impact.
    I also wear plugs + muffs (3M X5-A, 34db NR) for the really loud stuff. The two together make a big difference.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It sounded loud on my headphones or not as much loud but the high screaching pitch. Have you tried adjusting your RPMs and feed speed while cutting to see if it changes? If making those changes doesn't help then the only other option to get rid of noise is to use 2 bits and make a change during the cut and then go back to lighter passes. I don't even own a compression bit any more but I am not pressed for time and have an ATC so making multiple tool changes isn't an issue to me. I generally don't even wear hearing protection unless the DC is running.

A high screaming pitch is the sign of a hunger bit either speed up your move or slow down the router.

I agree I will have to pick up some cheap in ear plugs aswell.

Sadly my machine doesn't have the mechanical capacity to take those type of cuts. Normally i operate at my machine at <.1"DOC where the operating noise is basically silent in comparison. I checked out your etsy shop, its really nice! For your BB products how nice of quality ply do you use? I'm trying to start a etsy shop selling stand up desks and I simply dont have the insight that you might on how bad is garbage and how good is "good enough" for lack of a better term.

I think using a compression cutter may be asking too much of my machine. Honestly changing the tool by hand doesnt add that much more time to the overall cut and that will probably be my plan of attack. Perhaps i use the compression cutter on the final pass to get rid of any marks along the Z axis of the stock. If i reduce my DOC my ears, family and neighbors will probably be happier

Hmm I attempted to slow down the IPM and the RPM and on my final contour paths the machine lost its position and when on a little unplanned vacation into the stock. There may be no hope for using a compression cutter with my machine at the required specs. I think my next course of action is to get and up and down cut endmill and try a thinner DOC

Noise levels on a Youtube video (or any other video for that matter) can often be deceiving. For example, I have a Youtube video demonstration of one of my power hammers forming sheet metal. In this case, it sounds really pretty loud in the video (sort of like a jack hammer), but in person it is very quiet and earplugs are not necessary. In fact, you can carry on a conversation with a bystander with no problem.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVGr...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 06-09-2020 at 5:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Dziennik View Post
    Sadly my machine doesn't have the mechanical capacity to take those type of cuts. Normally i operate at my machine at <.1"DOC where the operating noise is basically silent in comparison. I checked out your etsy shop, its really nice! For your BB products how nice of quality ply do you use? I'm trying to start a etsy shop selling stand up desks and I simply dont have the insight that you might on how bad is garbage and how good is "good enough" for lack of a better term.
    You didn't quote or mention me so I'm taking a guess this is in reply to my post, Roman. I think the BB that we get is a medium grade. Generally there is one good face and one that may have some patches. Occasionally both sides have patches and on very rare occasions there are voids, very rare though. Seems like the street price here is about $30 per 5x5 sheet.

Having an Etsy shop is a blast, btw!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    You didn't quote or mention me so I'm taking a guess this is in reply to my post, Roman. I think the BB that we get is a medium grade. Generally there is one good face and one that may have some patches. Occasionally both sides have patches and on very rare occasions there are voids, very rare though. Seems like the street price here is about $30 per 5x5 sheet.

Having an Etsy shop is a blast, btw!

David

I think this ended up in the wrong thread. I know there was another one about materials. Not sure what happened.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I think this ended up in the wrong thread. I know there was another one about materials. Not sure what happened.
    David
    Nope correct thread. See post #9. I believe you are indeed the target despite a text quote being missing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...